Help with Home Tutoring/DIY

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
T

Post by T »

I am a tutor, if you want any advice or support then please ask. I teach in Redbridge

Help???????

Post by Guest »

Why is somebody in North East London (Redbridge) be hawking for business on a Kingston message board? My advice to parents would be to get the NFER practice papers available from WHSmith and work through them for a couple of months before the test. This worked for us.
Jess

Post by Jess »

I think T was offering to provide free help and advice via this forum, rather than 'hawking for business' as you suggest, and we rely on people like her/him to provide such help. Most people, I think, can work out for themselves that it would be a good idea to get NFER papers from WH Smith. More detailed advice and guidance is exactly what people like T can provide so please don't be rude.

Thanks for your offer T
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Oh dear ...

One of your resident Mods is having a very bad day geographically ... T originally posted on the "Tutors" section and I mistakenly advised Patricia to put it in Surrey. :oops: :oops:

My apologies to T, and thanks to Jess for her sensible response.

We always welcome tutors who are willing to advise parents through this Forum. We do not however allow tutors to advertise their services on the Forum, although they can apply to add their details to the main "Tutors" section of the website.

This thread will now relocate to Essex!

Sally-Anne
T

Post by T »

Jess wrote:I think T was offering to provide free help and advice via this forum, rather than 'hawking for business' as you suggest, and we rely on people like her/him to provide such help. Most people, I think, can work out for themselves that it would be a good idea to get NFER papers from WH Smith. More detailed advice and guidance is exactly what people like T can provide so please don't be rude.

Thanks for your offer T
Yes thanks Jess for that, :D I was only trying to help parents and provide free support. Anyway whoever thought i was hawking can think again :x . I have been through the 11+ process with my children and i can understand how difficult it can be when people you know are not willing to help you with information on the 11+ that they already know.

FREE ADVICE TO KIND PEOPLE
T

Post by T »

I am a Mum so i understand how you all feel!!!!

vocab

Post by Guest »

hi T

Is it possible for you to advice on vocab as my child is doing VR in redbridge on 13 jan
shah

Post by shah »

HI T,

thankyou very much for your kind offer of support, where would we be without the help we get from this site? i know that i have found it to be a life saver.
anyway, i have been reading various threads about verbal reasoning and i seem to have worked myself up. this is the first time i'm going through this process so i dont have any prior knowledge. i have read about different question types. HIKNOS(???) etc.
what are these and do i have to worry? my daughter will be sitting her test for redbridge in January. I have also ordered the tutor cd's via this site and although she has been practising using the BOND books, i'm afraid i dont have a clue as to what the different types of codes are etc.

can you shed any light

thankyou
stressed out mum :cry:
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

does this help??
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/vr-que ... region.php

The letters refer to the tytpe of question.

The nfer papers only cover 15 types of questions , although some areas have 21 types, the famous H I K N O S types being teh extra 6 . To further complicate matters some publishers refer to types by letter and some by number!

Go onto the verbal reasoning section, there should be advice on there. If in doubt yell for Patricia or Mike!
shah

Post by shah »

much appreciated. i can see essex but not redbridge, which is a different authority??
does that mean redbridge include the infamous HIKNOS or not?
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now