Tiffin School Admissions Consultation for 2016

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
tiffinboys

Tiffin School Admissions Consultation for 2016

Post by tiffinboys »

http://www.tiffinschool.co.uk/_docs/adm ... 6-2017.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
tiffinboys

Re: Tiffin School Admissions Consultation for 2016

Post by tiffinboys »

2 Stage tests.
Stage 1 on 6th October. Multiple choice, English/Maths.
Stage 2 date to be confirmed, but very likely to be after CAF (probably, joint test with TGS). Standard format, English & Maths.

It seems that stage 1 scores will not form part of the combined score.
Two parts of the stage 2 tests will be equally weighted and will form Combined Score.

Number of candidates invited to stage 2 test also not disclosed/determined.
Lot still to be clarified re marking/scaling/age standardization.

No change in catchment - still 14 km radius.
No places for disadvantaged children.

Last date for response to the consultation: 2nd February 2015 (12:00 hours).
Last edited by tiffinboys on Thu Dec 11, 2014 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

Wilson's School has announced their test dates. SET is in September; I think that it is very unlikely that Tiffins would join Sutton grammars consortium.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

tiffinboys wrote:2 Stage tests.
Stage 1 on 6th October. Multiple choice, English/Maths.
Stage 2 date to be confirmed, but very likely to be after CAF (probably, joint test with TGS).
Just an observation from an outsider, but why on earth do they have to have the Stage 1 test so late, making it more or less inevitable that Stage 2 will not be taken until after the CAF deadline? Surely if they are using multiple choice for the first stage,they could get both stages turned round in time if they started a bit earlier, thus complying more with the spirit of the Admissions Code as well as the letter, so to speak.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

Just an observation from an outsider, but why on earth do they have to have the Stage 1 test so late, making it more or less inevitable that Stage 2 will not be taken until after the CAF deadline?
That baffles me too. For 2015 entry, Tiffin Girls, Sutton Grammar and Henrietta Barnett only had second stage tests after CAF submission.

Ed:

Now St. Olaves would also go for post-CAF 2nd stage test.
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

Interesting to read proposed admission arrangements of Judd in Kent (super-selective grammar).

http://frog.judd.kent.sch.uk/index.phtml?d=275278" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

post-code based admission policy being proposed for 140 places out of 155.
Catseye

Post by Catseye »

has the world gone mad, exams after CAF dates the lunatics have taken over the asylum!

Alice-And how do you know that you're mad? "To begin with," said Catseye, "a dog's not mad. You grant that?" I suppose so, said Alice. "Well then," Catseye went on, "you see a dog growls when it's angry, and wags it's tail when it's pleased. Now I growl when I'm pleased, and wag my tail when I'm angry. Therefore I'm mad.....We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad." "How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice. "You must be," said Catseye, "otherwise you wouldn't have come to this forum.".”

complements of the year from the Mad Cheshire Cat
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

Just few days left to respond to Tiffin's consultation. Would suggest changes to test date (now that even Sutton Grammar has realised the need to change it to pre-CAF), priority for inner area and pupil premium places as also being done by TGS.
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

Last date for response to the consultation is 2nd February 2015.

Local parents: please take note and respond to bring in preference for local children, places for fsm children and bringing the 2nd stage test date forward to pre-caf deadline.
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

Just read an interesting development by Langley Grammar School, Slough.
The Governors have agreed in principle to expand Langley Grammar School from 5 forms of entry to 6 from September 2016, providing an additional 30 places in Year 7 in that and subsequent years. In order for Slough Borough Council to release capital funding, it is expected that the extra places will directly benefit Slough children.
Langley has created a Local Admission area, consisting of Slough post codes areas SL3 7, SL3 8 and SL3 0.
This area (not even full post code) will be allocated 30 places.

I think that Tiffin should also look into similar schemes to prioritize places for local children.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now