Creative Writing Tutor Recommendation Please

Eleven Plus (11+) in Trafford

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
francesxu

Creative Writing Tutor Recommendation Please

Post by francesxu »

Hi

My boy is in Year 4 and currently preparing for 11 plus. At a recent parent meeting with his class teacher, we were told that his writing didn't reflect his general ability, his writing seems short and dry mainly computer games or explosions... :? A friend in London told me she had sent her son ..... [Edited by moderator] ...... is a reputable company which doesn't have a branch in Manchester. I would really appreciate it if any nice parents could recommend any reliable creative writing tutor (preferably experienced secondary school teacher or higher level)or company to me by PM please? Many thanks. :)
Mr147

Re: Creative Writing Tutor Recommendation Please

Post by Mr147 »

Get him reading books like 'the famous 5' or 'The secret garden' or those Enid Blyton type books, rather than Horrid Henry or beast quest type series.

The older books use an awful lot of older 'traditional' type English and will be a huge benefit to him when it comes to written work and also understanding of old fashioned English language.

Other classics such as 'Black Beauty' and 'Treasure Island' are really great books to read - never easy getting them to enjoy them as much, but I promise it will help immensely in the long term.

Mr147 8)
francesxu

Re: Creative Writing Tutor Recommendation Please

Post by francesxu »

Hi Mr147

Many thanks for your advice, I agree with you - reading classic literature will get them familiar with old English. My boy loves reading, he's read lots of quality children books including classic books - Jungle book 1 & 2, Christmas Carol, all Roald Dahl books, most Famous Five, E.B. White, Dick King-Smith, Aesop Fables, Alice, OZ etc (Secret Garden, Treasure Island are on our family reading list), but it seems all these years' reading didn't make him become a good writer himself. I wonder is it true that girls' language are naturally developing faster than boys (I heard three years ahead)? Girls stories are full of imaginations and characters. Maybe no matter how much you read, if lack of practising writing, what you read aren't be absorbed and be your own stuff?! :roll: My puzzle is shall I wait for himself to develop his own style (eventually, not sure how long :lol: ) or find him a tutor to teach him writing skills now?

He brought back his class literacy notebook last week, the story he wrote is short, but not as hopeless as I thought, phew! :P