feeder schools of st olave

Eleven Plus (11+) in Bexley and Bromley

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

pingguobing612

feeder schools of st olave

Post by pingguobing612 »

Hi, we were looking at some feeder primary schools to St Olave. How advantageous are these primary schools over thr others? I assume pupils still go for the same exams as the rest. Anyone familiar with Warren road primary school? how is it? thanks!
parent2013

Re: feeder schools of st olave

Post by parent2013 »

Most of the 124 boys in Olave's are from different schools across the region. I am not aware of school that can boast of having more than one. Therefore, my best guess is that there are no feeder school. For example one top private school in Sidcup has only one successful admission.
Warren is a good state school but not really geared for the standards required by Olave's. The children from there got by hard work of private tutors & parents (and not by the school). You should look out for tutor/tuition centres that are feeder for Olave's.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Surely 'being a superselective' (as St Olave's is?) and 'having feeder schools' are mutually exclusive? The admissions criteria must state if preference is given to applicants from certain primary schools.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
mumsdarling2

Post by mumsdarling2 »

Parent2013- Surprised to hear about your comment on Warren Road. Do they not do 11+ Practice with some chosen children? They seem to have a reputation that every year quite a few of their boys get into Olaves. Have always been curious to find out if it was indeed true.
2childmum

Post by 2childmum »

I have a friend whose 3 children all went through Warren Road - the last has just started secondary. The head used to take out the chosen few for what I think she called masterclasses - i.e. 11+ Prep. I think the head may have changed now though. And my friend feels that the standard of education has declined as her children went through. Certainly the first 2 passed Kent 11+, the first well enough to get into Dartford Grammar (boys) and the 3rd, who seems equally bright, failed.
pingguobing612

Post by pingguobing612 »

nice to hear from different views above. I talked to a family there today. The elder boy who is in St Olave said his year, about 10 got into St Olave. However, a few years down the road, they say generally only about 5 kids. I think the results really depend on the child, tuition and parents. are there any good forums for primary schools in this region?
apprentice

Post by apprentice »

St. James' RC primary is a good one. They always manage to send one or two boys to St. Olave and two girls or more to NW. It's a small school with only one class each year.
Out of 29 children last year, they sent 1 to St. Olave, 2 to NW, 5 to Chis & Cid, 2 to Tonbridge Girls, 1 to Wilmington Boys and 1 to Wilmington Girls.
parent2013

Post by parent2013 »

2childmum wrote:I have a friend whose 3 children all went through Warren Road - the last has just started secondary. The head used to take out the chosen few for what I think she called masterclasses - i.e. 11+ Prep. I think the head may have changed now though. And my friend feels that the standard of education has declined as her children went through. Certainly the first 2 passed Kent 11+, the first well enough to get into Dartford Grammar (boys) and the 3rd, who seems equally bright, failed.
Warren Rd. stopped doing masterclasses 2 years back after the new headteacher arrived. Even those masterclass were quite elementary. I wouldn't say that the standard of education has declined. It was never geared for 11+, that's how I see it.

The boys who got into Olave's, Judd etc were all heavily tutored. I think the total into Olave's has gone down from 9 (2012), 5 (2013) and again 5 (2014). Some of them are my students, that's why I know the stats.