Marling and SHS to increase PAN to 150 from September 2016.

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
stroudydad

Marling and SHS to increase PAN to 150 from September 2016.

Post by stroudydad »

Email just recieved. Good news for many:-)
DC17C

Re: Marling and SHS to increase PAN to 150 from September 20

Post by DC17C »

Thought this would have to happen at some stage given the increase in pupil numbers at primary level. Interesting to see what happens with the other schools.
Stressed?Moi?

Post by Stressed?Moi? »

I remember reading on here that Tommies is increasing to 120 from next September, ie, too late for us - story of my life :x !
samla

Proposal for 150 students at SHS

Post by samla »

Received email from the head saying that from 2016 they are planning to take 150 students. He hasn't clarified whether it will be a new form or bigger class sizes. Would be interested to find the forum views on that.

I am not impressed with this proposal as I feel it will affect their current services - classrooms, teaching. Economies of scale inevitably have a knock on effect on the quality.
NancyB

Re: Proposal for 150 students at SHS

Post by NancyB »

samla wrote:Received email from the head saying that from 2016 they are planning to take 150 students. He hasn't clarified whether it will be a new form or bigger class sizes. Would be interested to find the forum views on that.

I am not impressed with this proposal as I feel it will affect their current services - classrooms, teaching. Economies of scale inevitably have a knock on effect on the quality.
To avoid having two topics on the same subject, I'll reply to this under the "Marling and SHS to increase PAN to 150 from September 2016" topic.

I have merged these threads - Moderator
NancyB

Post by NancyB »

Samla asked in another topic
Received email from the head saying that from 2016 they are planning to take 150 students. He hasn't clarified whether it will be a new form or bigger class sizes. Would be interested to find the forum views on that.

The class sizes can't increase, as most schools have a physical limit on the number of children they can fit in a classroom without having them sitting on each others laps. I've not seen the letter from the head, so could someone who has look to see if it says anything about the number of classes? The logical thing would to be to take it up to 5 classes per year of 30 each. No school would go up to classes of 38.

Simla says "Economies of scale inevitably have a knock on effect on the quality". However, funding for schools is falling and Gloucestershire schools are some of the worst funded in England, with the Grammars being bottom of the funding pile. If Marling & Stroud High don't make use of economies of scale, then they'll probably be in a much worse place than if they do.

There was something in the Sunday Times this weekend saying that many Grammars are proposing increases in intake.
stroudydad

Post by stroudydad »

The letters do not give details regarding how the larger numbers will be accommodated but the comment on the funding aspect, and both schools could certainly house more students. I'm hoping that more students will give rise to even more opportunities .
MountainDweller

Post by MountainDweller »

This is great news for those taking the test this year and beyond. :D I just presumed when reading the post that another tutor group would be added. :)

Such a shame it wasn't for the 2015 intake....maybe then I wouldn't be wishing the time away quite so much....March seems so far away and I can't stand not knowing!
Stressed?Moi?

Post by Stressed?Moi? »

MountainDweller wrote:This is great news for those taking the test this year and beyond. :D I just presumed when reading the post that another tutor group would be added. :)

Such a shame it wasn't for the 2015 intake....maybe then I wouldn't be wishing the time away quite so much....March seems so far away and I can't stand not knowing!
I know; yet another way we "lucked out" this year. :(
stroudydad

Post by stroudydad »

Stressed?Moi? wrote:
MountainDweller wrote:This is great news for those taking the test this year and beyond. :D I just presumed when reading the post that another tutor group would be added. :)

I know; yet another way we "lucked out" this year. :(
Or, on the other hand does the fact the schools are acknowledging the can cope with more students give you a better chance at an over subscription appeal(if you should need one)
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now