how much improvement in last 4 weeks can one expect?

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
SleepyHead

how much improvement in last 4 weeks can one expect?

Post by SleepyHead »

DD's maths, and story writing have really come together. silly mistakes are down in maths and stories are interesting to read with varied vocab. But she is still struggling with comprehension.

Can any one who's been in this situation advise whether we can see any improvement with 4 weeks to go before the group 1 exam. (favourite school in that consortium)

Wishing I could wave a magic wand!
SH
neveragainmum

Re: how much improvement in last 4 weeks can one expect?

Post by neveragainmum »

I think at this stage just relax, really all the hard has already been done, most often on the day things just come together and DC can surprise us. Believe it or not most children struggle with the comprehension, unless of course they are competent avid readers of many years, and even then that can still be the case. My DS finds comprehension difficult too, despite my prolonged ongoing attempts to correct this, by just ploughing through various types. I'm just not going to worry unduly, and just hope that a piece he gets to grips with appears on the day. Just get DC to do a paper a day until the exam, mark it, then get them to reread the text to you, then you read text to them, (yes I know very long process) then get them to answer questions again that they got wrong, then if they still don't get it offer explanations and answers at the end. Any other solutions with comprehension would be very interesting. Good luck!
SleepyHead

Post by SleepyHead »

thank you, yes DH and I have come to the conclusion that DD doesn't read enough challenging texts and so the comprehensions are a bit of a problem. As you say, it depends on the piece they get on the day. Some are very difficult, others DD has found very do-able. Good luck to your DC too.
SH
J50

Post by J50 »

neveragainmum wrote:I think at this stage just relax, really all the hard has already been done, most often on the day things just come together and DC can surprise us. Believe it or not most children struggle with the comprehension, unless of course they are competent avid readers of many years, and even then that can still be the case. My DS finds comprehension difficult too, despite my prolonged ongoing attempts to correct this, by just ploughing through various types. I'm just not going to worry unduly, and just hope that a piece he gets to grips with appears on the day. Just get DC to do a paper a day until the exam, mark it, then get them to reread the text to you, then you read text to them, (yes I know very long process) then get them to answer questions again that they got wrong, then if they still don't get it offer explanations and answers at the end. Any other solutions with comprehension would be very interesting. Good luck!

Well put. I find exactly the same for my son. He's been doing pretty tough comprehensions (all inference questions) for a while and marks range from 68% to 90% for no obvious reason other than some he just gets quite well and some he doesn't - and when I go through them I find I am the same, with some I am struggling to answer and others seem easy. Hopefully the one on the day will be one that clicks with him!
LostInTheShuffle

Post by LostInTheShuffle »

My DD is an avid reader but also finds comprehension challenging. We've come to realise that in part it is due to her age and maturity - on the latter, we feel that she will develop in her own time and we shouldn't disturb her natural progression.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

In my opinion students can come to grips with challenging comprehension if they clearly understand what they are supposed to be doing and have access to answers clearly explained to them. However this group of students cannot go to all the schools so they should be plenty of spaces for those who do not do so well in the comprehension but do better in the Maths and VR. DG
SleepyHead

Post by SleepyHead »

DD has done some comp withington papers - she is fine with these.

However, with Rakesh and Anoushka my DD didn't understand the concept of a secret girl friend. I find that consortium comprehensions are some of the hardest around? Anyone of the same opinion?
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

What did she understand? It clearly says in the text that the mum would not approve. I don't think the concept of hiding something you are doing from your parents because they would not approve is a difficult one for ten year olds to grasp. How did she get on with Arlington Rise and Twins and Grandparents? DG
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now