Any feedback on 11+exam for Magdalen College School Oxford

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
indiemom

Any feedback on 11+exam for Magdalen College School Oxford

Post by indiemom »

Would love to know from parents with experience on 11+ exam for MCS Oxford

I looked through the forum with the key word search but saw that not much has been talked about the entrance process like some other highly sought after schools in London or greater London area (was wondering why?).

Therefore thought of writing to the wonderful and helpful parents in the forum if they can throw some light on this

- How tough are their English, maths and VR papers compared to other super selective indies or grammar schools ? ( I have seen maths & English sample papers in their websites but are they real representation of the level they are looking for ? )

- How is their interview like compared to other independent schools ?

It's a very good school as per league tables but how the entry process differs from other super selective independent schools.

Any feedback from existing or ex-parents will be appreciated.
Last edited by indiemom on Fri Dec 12, 2014 3:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
J50

Re: Any feedback on 11+exam for Magdalene College School Oxf

Post by J50 »

Hi - no idea about this particular school but when I have previously asked others about the 'sample papers' on their websites they have always said that the papers are previous exam papers and not just sample papers. Hope that helps a little.
indiemom

Re: Any feedback on 11+exam for Magdalen College School Oxfo

Post by indiemom »

Thanks a lot J50 for your response. Much appreciated.

I was hopeful to get some responses from existing or ex parents of the school but looks like either they are none in the forum or they are not willing to share their wisdom :lol:
MamaBear

Post by MamaBear »

Hi indiemom, my boys didn't take the exam but their cousins did, one passed and now he is doing really well
(Yr 11)
I can tell you what I've heard from their mum.

The exam is tough, the interview involved bringing in something to talk about and discussing a poem.
Academically the school is really good and her ds1 is thriving (already has two GCSE's A*) and doing the rest of his exams next year but she said her youngest would have struggled there as it is high pressure. He goes to another private school in Oxford which is more relaxed and suited for him.

Hope this helps!
indiemom

Post by indiemom »

Thanks a lot MamaBear for your response, really helpful and very much appreciated.

Yes I got the letter from MCS that in the interview the candidate needs to bring in something to talk about it but didn't know that they might discuss some poem as well, thanks for that info, will keep that in mind.
MamaBear

Post by MamaBear »

no problem indiemom, let me know if you have any other specific questions and I can ask my nephew.
indiemom

Post by indiemom »

Sure MamaBear, will do.

Thanks a lot again.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now