Current year 7s - how are they getting on?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
crazycrofter

Current year 7s - how are they getting on?

Post by crazycrofter »

If you wouldn't mind sharing how your year 7s are getting on at their schools, I'd be really interested. I have a year 6, so it will be upon us in no time and I'm starting to feel nervous! If you've got any tips, please share them!
Happy dad

Re: Current year 7s - how are they getting on?

Post by Happy dad »

Ds2 is at Adams' and absolutely loves it. Has settled really well and has made lots of new friends both in his class, in his house and on the bus from Wolves. Think the House system and the requirement that all the boys take part in zhouse events - cross country and rugby to name but two - creates a real sense of belonging and togetherness.

Homework hasn't been as intense as we feared although we are expecting it to increase after Christmas.

Overall, 9.5 out of 10.

Just to add when he started he knew no one - now he has more friends than he was weary of leaving behind at primary.
moseleymum

Post by moseleymum »

Hi

This thread might be of help (from the beyond 11+ section of the forum).

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... 39&t=33732" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:D
Wolves mum

Post by Wolves mum »

My son is at Adams' and is loving it. He has joined lots of clubs and has a wide circle of friends. He finds the work challenging but interesting. He sometimes thinks he's struggling but had all a's and a* in his assessments.
The school communicate really well with the Parents.

I can't fault the school and we have come there from the independent sector, so were used to a high level of customer service.
rabbie burns

Post by rabbie burns »

I was really worried in September with the travel, new friends etc. Its been absolutely fantastic and the school is just right for him. Homework has been a bit of a nightmare though!! So try not to worry too much.
crazycrofter

Post by crazycrofter »

Thanks everyone! Does it feel like harder work for you as a parent compared to primary?!
Wolves mum

Post by Wolves mum »

Not at all as he seems to just get on with it. He's become very independent. Tips, get into the habit of homework done the same day and make him responsible for getting his bag/kit ready the night before school.
Hopefuldad7

Post by Hopefuldad7 »

My DD loves school (one of the KE schools) and has made lots of friends. She seems more mature already!

She comes home and gets stuck into her homework after a snack and a break (luckily we don't live far from the school) so not too long spent in transit.

My only issue is the lack of relationship the school has with home and although they appreciate effort, they clearly are only interested in high marks and high achievement. This is the culture of the school. I don't feel a very nurturing environment for the girls but rather a high work ethic and 'man up and get to work' type of approach as opposed to motivating girls through praise.

My daughter is not competitive but some of the stories I hear are heartbreaking. Girls crying in class because they are not at the top of the class in a particular subject or crying because they 'only' got 14 out of 15 and not 15 out of 15.

We are still generally happy with choosing a grammar school for our DD and she really loves it even though she has been marked slightly lower than we would have expected in her first report with no information on what areas they are concerned about and how to improve.

Sometimes I wonder how other dc must be coping in such an environment.
rabbie burns

Post by rabbie burns »

Hopeful Dad makes a very valid and interesting point and confirms that you really need to think hard if grammar schools are right for your child and which one is right. We chose the one we felt was least like what he describes but they are all a bit like that I think. I have heard similar things about one of the girls schools though I don't know if its the same one. Good luck next term.
Turtlegirl

Post by Turtlegirl »

Our daughter has had her struggles at her KE grammar school, but I've found that the school is responsive if you have concerns.

The adjustment for parents to secondary school is almost as difficult as that for the kids I think. You go from daily contact with your child's full time teacher to a report & a parents' evening with ten minutes with a bunch of different teachers in the first term, if you're lucky. None of the secondary teachers know your child as well as you do, nor as well as their primary teachers knew them. As the years have progressed, we've adjusted to secondary school culture (my daughter is in Year 9 now). At primary if there was a problem I was down chatting to the teacher immediately. At secondary there's a time delay before problems are discovered and then dealt with. But it's fine - they do get dealt with and although my daughter isn't the most brightly shining star of the academic firmament, I think her teachers like her and now know her quite well and enjoy her input and contribution to school life.

So all in all, I suspect that a disappointing first term report is more likely to be an indication that staff don't know your child very well yet rather than a calamitous school choice.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now