Same test for Warks. and Birmingham

Eleven Plus (11+) in Warwickshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

guest201

Same test for Warks. and Birmingham

Post by guest201 »

I have just received a copy of LSS planned admission arrangements for 2016, interestingly it states that exam will be on 12th Sept and it will be the same exam for Warwickshire and Birmingham. No more using one as a "mock" for the other.
Tinkers

Re: Same test for Warks. and Birmingham

Post by Tinkers »

That's the same date as the Berkshire (Reading and Slough) test I believe. I wonder if it will be the same test. Last year the Berkshire test was also used in about 10 other schools.
Optimist

Post by Optimist »

Edited.
Last edited by Optimist on Tue Dec 16, 2014 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
KenR

Post by KenR »

Yes but don't forget that the scores for the exam may be different for Warks and B/Ham - the reason being that the B/Ham age standardisation is for each paper, whereas for Warks the Numeric, Non verbal and verbal sections are standardised separately with verbal counting for 50% and the other sections 25% each.

The scores could be quite different
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

Brilliant! I can't see any negatives about this from Warks/B'ham point of view - although I do worry about an area like Bucks, if their test is earlier as, I suspect, the number of 11+ tourists will increase.
JamesDean

Post by JamesDean »

KES's consultation is on their website - http://www.kes.net/wp-content/uploads/2 ... TATION.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Same test as Brum and 8 PP places ... 'up to eight places for those who score between one and ten marks below the automatic standard set by the Committee of Reference ...'

JD
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

Only quickly scanned it but looks like massive kudos to KES for basically offering up to 10% of the year to PP pupils. And really pleased to see how much they have tightened up on evidence with regards to addresses - including emphasising how checks can and will be made after the start of Y7 and fraudulent or misleading applications will have their place withdrawn - as it should be - and how if parents don't turn up to the test with a photo of their child, the child will not be allowed to sit the test (with no exceptions) and will be classed as a late applicant. And the second date for those who can't sit on a Saturday for religious reasons is the very next day.

Looks like they are really trying to address all the issues that have been raised on the forum in the past (not directed at KES but other areas in the country) about 11+ tourism, fraudulent addresses, tutor centres trying to get information to advance their students etc.

Seems pretty sensible to me.
JamesDean

Post by JamesDean »

KES Admissions Doc wrote:.... Warwickshire County Council’s Admissions Service (Warwickshire Admissions) operates the Entrance Test along with The Grammar Schools in Birmingham. Some parents may be considering listing Grammar Schools in both Warwickshire and Birmingham on their Common Application Form (CAF). As admission to these schools will be determined by the same test, on the same day, it is not possible for students to sit the test more than once. If it is discovered a student has sat the test more than once the score from the earliest test will be used. Parents should be aware that in such situations the application may be considered fraudulent or intentionally misleading and where a place has been offered it may be withdrawn.
I wonder if this applies to tests in other CEM areas or just Warks/Brum?

JD
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

I suspect, in this case, not and that they are just referring to the Warks/B'ham one but it would certainly solve the problems in areas like Bucks if the one test/first sitting rule was applied and just the standardisation differed depending on where you applied....maybe that will come next year!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now