SATS prep now?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Bexley and Bromley

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
sidcupparent

SATS prep now?

Post by sidcupparent »

My kid has passed Bexley 11 plus so we are just awaiting offical offers

I was wondering is it worth preparing for SATs now?

Will that have an impact on what class he will be in the Grammar school?
Twinkle

Re: SATS prep now?

Post by Twinkle »

At my children's GS there is no streaming in Year 7. SATS results seem to have no impact on the child and KS3 targets are set by reference to CATS tests carried out by the school.

Now your child has passed the 11+ my advice would be to allow your child to relax, enjoy christmas and the rest of Year 6. All prep for the SATS should be done at school. We did no prep whatsoever for SATS and my kids did fine and are doing fine at GS.

If your target GS does stream according to SATS results then I can see the temptation to prep for SATS at home but I do wonder whether it is worth it in the long run.
sidcupparent

Post by sidcupparent »

Thanks...I am just worried my child will forget what has learnt in time for sept
RedVelvet

Post by RedVelvet »

I have to say I've always told my children that SATs are a measure of the school, rather than the child, less stress all round. DS1 has had a few years at grammar now and I've generally taken a very 'hands-off' approach academically. I trust the school to do a good job and make sure he's progressing well. There have been subjects he's struggled with and they have stepped in quickly and he was soon up to speed. Also the emphasis in year 7 was definitely on settling in and independence, rather than just academic work.
moved

Post by moved »

The children I have taught have been enormously proud of their SATs achievements. Whilst they don't get a certificate, it is still the first national, standardised measure of their success. Getting high 5s or 6s in their SATs is something of which they should be proud.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

KS2 levels are important to secondary schools. They are judged on progress from these starting points.

Some schools may do CATs but they are not judged on these ... KS2 levels are paramount and will be for some time.

Most GS children should be aiming for good level 5s ...
Twinkle

Post by Twinkle »

But do you really think that parents should be prepping their children for SATS which was the OP's question ? Surely this is a primary school issue. The children work hard in school in Year 6 and I do question whether they should be doing more at home at this age over and above any homework given.
RedVelvet

Post by RedVelvet »

Guest55 wrote:KS2 levels are important to secondary schools. They are judged on progress from these starting points.

Some schools may do CATs but they are not judged on these ... KS2 levels are paramount and will be for some time.

Most GS children should be aiming for good level 5s ...
I'm not saying KS2 levels aren't important, just that as a parent I won't be preparing my children beyond anything they do in school, and of course supporting any homework.

Also since being at secondary school my son has been given his levels in every subject every half term, I'm sure this is a good enough measure of progress.
moved

Post by moved »

The KS2 tests are used to 'calibrate' GCSEs. A weak cohort at KS2 means that fewer will pass at the end of KS4.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

No, there's no need to prepare for them but moved is right about calibration.

GCSE English and Maths A* to C are referenced back to KS2 results ... which is why English went down this year. Exam boards are told whether their % of A8 to C is acceptable ..
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now