Admission into school not listed on CAF

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11plusjourney

Admission into school not listed on CAF

Post by 11plusjourney »

I would like to know if there is any way to ask a Grammar school to consider a child for admission without the school being mentioned in the CAF form, given that the child has taken and passed the test. Has anyone had this kind of experience before and how does it work?
mitasol

Re: Admission into school not listed on CAF

Post by mitasol »

Each Local Authority will have specific rules governing any changes to your CAF. Below is the rules covering one LEA (an example).

Admission to Kingston’s Secondary Schools 2015
http://www.kingston.gov.uk/downloads/fi ... oklet_2015" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Changing your order of preference
If you wish to change your order of preference after the closing date of 31 October 2014, your
application will be treated as late and will not be considered until after all the applications
received on time, unless there are exceptional reasons for the change.
or
Late applications
Applications received after the closing date of 31 October 2014 will only be considered after
all applications received by the closing date. This is unless you are able to provide proof
that there were exceptional reasons that prevented you from applying on time and only up
to 12 December 2014. All late applications received after 12 December 2014 will only be
considered after those received by the closing date.
You need to contact your own LEA in the first instance but the School may have additional requirements.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

11plusjourney wrote:I would like to know if there is any way to ask a Grammar school to consider a child for admission without the school being mentioned in the CAF form, given that the child has taken and passed the test. Has anyone had this kind of experience before and how does it work?
Looking at the guide for completing the CAF in our area, it may be possible to make changes to one's CAF after the closing date, by contacting the LEA by phone. However, I think any new applications made now - i.e. substituting a new preference for one previously made, or adding a new school to the list if you didn't fill all your options before - would be regarded as a late application and would probably only be dealt with after National Offer Day, unless the change was being made because of e.g. a house move and the Admissions team can be convinced that you couldn't reasonably have made the application on time.

If your application is treated as 'late', unless the school is undersubscribed, your child would be placed on the waiting list in the position dictated by the school's oversubscription criteria.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Ladymuck

Post by Ladymuck »

Deleted by user.
Last edited by Ladymuck on Sat Mar 21, 2015 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
11plusjourney

Post by 11plusjourney »

Thanks a lot for the information. It puts my mind to rest. I understand about not wanting to disturb other preferences on the CAF for one school. I have to admit though, that waiting is quite a challenge. I'll also call up the local authority to ask what the other options are. 3 months to go for the National Offer Day! :shock:
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

11plusjourney wrote: 3 months to go for the National Offer Day! :shock:
Much less than that. Offer day is 2 March 2015.