marking scheme

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
greying parent

marking scheme

Post by greying parent »

sorry. one more question. csse say the marking is done by taking the 4000 children that took the exam, adding their scores then finding the average (mean) score. this is done with each subject. does any one know what is done thereafter. i.e if say the average score in any particular subject is 50% and your child scores say 70%, how are the places/scores finally decided. just curious!
shah

Post by shah »

i know for redbrige we've been told that only the top 120 scoring young people will be offered places. in case of ties there will be a home to school distant calculation. plus the scores are standardised to take into account age etc.
hope this helps, sorry i dont know about csse

shah

Post by Guest »

The scores are standardised using a complicated mathematical formula. Your child will get a 'raw' score for each paper, and then a comparison is done between all the applicants, which produces a standardised score - then each applicant is put in order according to this score and places offered to the highest scorers on the list for each school. The process is more complicated for applicants to Southend borough schools due to the priority admission area (did my best to explain this on your other thread). The CSSE does not use age standardisation.

Post by Guest »

Shah it's not that simple for redbrigde either, the scores are standardised then standardised by age, in case of ties they look at the exam papers to see the 'most difficult' questions . to see who answered the most of them! :shock:

Post by Guest »

oh i didnt know that. hmm does that help us? :?
the info on the letter from the LEA simply stated that places will only be offered to the top 120 scoring pupils. well now i feel more hopeful
thanks
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now