To tutor or not for bexley / kent?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Bexley and Bromley

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

tag30

To tutor or not for bexley / kent?

Post by tag30 »

Hello everyone
I've had a good look through the forums and just wanted to get an idea on who tutors and who does DIY as interested in both.
My dd is in year 4 and is doing very well in a good state primary in Eltham. She loves learning and doing extra work at home and really enjoys reading every day. Therefore, I think she would enjoy and do well at a school that pushes her I.e a grammer. We live on the borders of new Eltham / chislehurst so have the option of a variety of GS nearby. The question is, do I get a tutor (problem solving maths is her weakness) or do it myself. I am a student (mature) myself at the local uni so am pretty pressed for time but sure I could manage if necessary.
I'm only really interested in mixed GS for several reasons plus I feel my dd is best suited to a mix so bexley and kent tests are the main ones I'd be looking at sitting.
If u DIY what tools do u use now or would you recommend a bit of tutoring along with DIY?
I think I'm nervous of getting a bad tutor only for them to ruin my dd enthusiasm for learning.
Would love to hear some of your experiences
tag30

Re: To tutor or not for bexley / kent?

Post by tag30 »

Eek I've just realised that bromley tests are different to bexley and kent!
Ladymuck

Post by Ladymuck »

I'd start with DIY and see how you go. Tutors are not some form of magic, but they work in some situations eg:-

Some parents do not have the patience to do academic work with their kids.
Some parents do not have the confidence to do some of the 11+ work with their kids.
Some parents do not have the time to do preparation with their kids (eg other siblings or jobs etc take up their time)
Some parents do not have the discipline to prepare over a medium timeframe.

If you do opt for a tutor I think that it is important that you realise that this is just one part of the preparation process, and that you can't just delegate the task entirely. You need to ensure that you know what will be tested in each exam (the formats frequently change), and that your DC is being prepared to work in time for each format.
tag30

Post by tag30 »

Thanks for your reply. I think as long as I get to grips with what the tests will include, I could manage it myself. However, I think that is what seems to be the difficult bit - Knowing what to prepare for.
As I border bexley and bromley and to add to the mix, we may move out to kent at the time of taking the 11+, trying to cover all bases seems a big ask.
I don't want to go over old ground but is there anywhere on this site a sort of idiots guide to preparing your child for this process? A few pointers/recommended text books would be appreciated just to get started.
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/schools/regions" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You can find out exam content and the best type of books for practice. You can also try looking at relevant regions on the forum.

Just ask, we are here to help!
tag30

Post by tag30 »

Many thanks I shall have a mooch
salsa

Post by salsa »

Even if you get a tutor they give them homework, so you would be doing most of the work. A tutor who has experience in the area should be able to guide you with the materials and know whether your daughter is on track. If you don't have a tutor you can keep asking people on this forum, as many do, but the question will be difficult to answer. The main thing is to decide if your daughter needs a pass or a high score.
Judging by your location you just need a pass for Bexley, but high scores for Kent and Newstead Woods. I'm assuming you are aiming at Dartford girls or Wilmington girls? Please note that these last 3 schools are for girls only.
tag30

Post by tag30 »

Thanks that's very helpful. I'm beginning to think a tutor would be a good idea for those reasons. As for the schools, I haven't even looked at the individually yet. We will be in a position to move home at the time of the tests so where exactly we will end up no one knows . If she doesn't pass kent test, we won't go to kent but if she does, we are able to move within the catchment area of our preferred school.
Twinkle

Post by Twinkle »

If I were you I would check now with KCC ( for the Kent test) when you need to be resident in catchment for the schools you are looking at. The time between taking the Kent test ( mid Sept ish), getting your result ( mid Oct ish) and putting in your SCAF ( end of Oct / beginning of Nov) is quite short ( in terms of moving house). Allocation is the following March but I suspect you would need to be resident well before that and probably by the time you put your SCAF in. Residence is less of a problem if you are looking at superselectives but best to check admissions criteria.
tag30

Post by tag30 »

I have been thinking about that and I think it would just add to the stress of everything at that time. I would probably rent for a year so in that sense it wouldn't take so long but I'll ring them and check anyway and see what they say. I suppose I could submit the form and appeal if I didn't get in based on location or update my location once the form had gone in. It's all speculation on my part but I'm not sure how much of a straight answer I'll get from KCC with my hypothetical questions on moving home!
Thanks again