MC format for consortium tests

Eleven Plus (11+) in Lincolnshire (Lincs)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

FluxCapacity

MC format for consortium tests

Post by FluxCapacity »

Hello, there, I'm back as I have a year 5 and I've just dug out all the practice books purchased when my now-year-8 did the tests. As the consortium tests have changed to multiple choice format, and I have the GL and Letts practice packs in standard format, what I'm wanting to know, is whether the multiple choice format packs have the same questions as the standard? I'm not sure I understand how the NVR MC and standard formats differ anyway, as they seem quite MC to me in the standard packs....I'm not sure whether to buy the MC packs (I have a 3rd child one year behind this 2nd one).

My other query is, if I remember rightly, there are only 6 possible format questions for the NVR. My 1st didn't do any practice other than the Letts & GL packs. Well, she did some Bond and then we realised that she didn't need as many types as they cover (for some reason she was rubbish at nets, and this wasn't going to come up!). Am I right in this understanding of only 6 possible types (of which there will be 4 tested in the 4 sections).

I should say, for the VR, I have a good selection of the IPS books too, as she'll be doing Caistor too, which is all VR, both MCQ and standard. We spent a lot more time on VR than NVR.
wonderwoman

Re: MC format for consortium tests

Post by wonderwoman »

I've no idea about the types of questions used, as I have never practised with my DC, barring the one paper we did to get an idea of timing.
This is the 3rd format that will have been used whilst my DC have been involved in the process. However I think the letter sent out was surprisingly informative and suggested suitable practice material, so if you want to practise start with that and buy others that are similar.
Alex

Post by Alex »

The questions in the Letts/GL packs are the same whether they are in Standard format or multiple choice. The only difference is that for multiple choice you have a separate answer sheet on which to mark the correct answer whereas in Standard format you write or circle the answer on the question sheet itself.

I haven't seen the information about the new testing. Does it confirm that the actual tests will be the same and only the format changed?
wonderwoman

Post by wonderwoman »

Alex you could ring a GS and ask.
JRM

Post by JRM »

Did you get your answer Alex? If not I am going to try and dig out the letter we got from the primary school today. I am happy to share it as it is public information, but I need to work out how to attach a picture first!
The more that you read, the more things you will know.
The more that you learn, the more places you'll go.
Dr Seuss
JRM

Post by JRM »

Found it - and it is actually just the one on the QEHS website. Sorry for hinting I may have any further info!

http://www.qehs.lincs.sch.uk/Mainfolder ... ss/11=.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Btw Flux, I also have a current year 8 and a year 5 just starting to think about this. I have filled in her application form to do the test and she is currently deciding if she is brave enough to go out and post it on her own. I told her it was step one of the process :-)
Dr Seuss
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

Not sure if this helps for those looking at Caistor, but I know of someone who works at there. Apparently the head writes the tests.
FluxCapacity

Post by FluxCapacity »

Thanks, Alex, that was the answer I needed, and suspected.

Wonderwoman - the practice tests at QEHGS were really useful - made us realise what a narrow range of questions could come up in the NVR and that the one that y8 didn't get on with would not be in it.

BTW, I had loaned out my practice packs, and one came back without the answers, but on emailing the publishers they were really nice (and amusing ;-) ) about sending me a replacement.

Tinkers - I have a theory that CGS has one or two papers only. My y8 is my best input for that - we noted what came up most when she came out of the test. Best advice I think is practise a really wide set of types for it. The kids that haven't done as well as I would have expected are those who stuck to a narrower range of practice books.

JRM - did your y5 post it?
Alex

Post by Alex »

I understand that the new VR tests will have a larger pool of questions which the Grammar Schools hope will counteract some of the effects of coaching. They also wish to update some of the language which was felt to be obsolete. The answer sheets can be read by an optical reader which means, I think, that they will be marked by NfER rather than by the individual Grammar schools as at present. As far as I know, the NVR will not really change except in the basic format of answering on a separate answer sheet rather than on the question paper.
JRM

Post by JRM »

Yes she posted it Flux :-) But then I got a reply letter that I again had to send off as confirmation.

I am interested in the new VR. DD is my second child through, but the first skipped through it with no worries. DD is slightly different so I have started doing some basic prep. We just have the NfER books that explain the question types for the moment. But I have also bought the 11+ app for the phone that she does in the car sometimes and it has been very interesting spotting how weak her vocabulary is. She is good at making educated guesses, but it has made me realise that you should not skip reading with a year 5 child just because you have to listen to a little brother. Are you saying Alex that there will be more new question types that we haven't seen before? She is also more thrown by new things as she has less self confidence that she can do it. Once shown she generally picks things up, but the thought of completely new question styles is a bit worrying.
Dr Seuss
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now