southend and westcliff high schools for girls

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
greying parent

southend and westcliff high schools for girls

Post by greying parent »

does anyone have an idea of how many girls sat the 11 plus for entrance to southend and westcliff high school for girls. My understanding is that there are 230 places (in area) for the two schools combined. can anyone confirm this.

Post by Guest »

I think your figure of 230 is correct - there is a maximum of 115 places in each school which will be allocated to in area girls provided they reach the pass mark. The remaining places will be offered to out of borough girls.
Usually, the Southend schools do not have enough passing local children to fill all the allocated places, so then the remaining places are offered to out of borough applicants. For example, last year's intake at WHSG was around 85 in borough, 70 out of borough. SHSG tends to have a higher in-borough intake than WHSG. The only Southend grammar that got close to filling all its in borough places last year was Southend Boys. I believe the reason all the local places aren't getting filled in recent years is because the borough is currently going through a low birthrate phase.
I don't know about this year but last year I believe each of the girls schools had about 500-600 applicants.

Post by Guest »

I wonder if we can fould out how many out of borough applications there were and how many inborough applications for the southend and westcliff schools?
greying parent

number of applicants

Post by greying parent »

had to get a definate answer so phoned csse. couldn't tell me inner and outer area applicant numbers but could confirm that 273 sat at southend high for girls and 383 sat at westcliff high for girls. they said to bare in mind that quite a number of those that sat it would be coming from outer area, ie. rayleigh, canvey etc.

Post by Guest »

You have also got to take into consideration the children that sat it at the other schools also e.g St. Bernards, Chelmsford, etc As some of these children may put westcliff/southend as 1st choice, so I guess there are more children than the 650ish that the csse told you about, If that makes any sense :?
GREYING PARENT

WESTCLIFF AND SOUTHEND HIGH FOR GIRLS

Post by GREYING PARENT »

YEAH, DISCUSSED THAT FACT WITH CSSE AS WELL. THEY SAID AS AN EXAMPLE LAST YEAR 680 PUT SOUTHEND HIGH AS A PREFERENCE IN THEIR FIVE OPTIONS WITH 740 PUTTING WESTCLIFF HIGH. THEY SAID TO TAKE INTO ACCOUNT THAT A LOT OF PARENTS PUT BOTH SCHOOLS SO ARE THEREFORE IN EACH LIST (COUNTED TWICE). THIS BASICALLY MEANT THAT WITH MOST PEOPLE PUTTING BOTH SCHOOL THERE WERE APPROX 700 TRYING FOR 150 PLACES AT EACH SCHOOL.
THE FIGURES (LISTED AS PREFERENCE) INCLUDE PEOPLE FROM ALL OVER ESSEX THAT PUT ACTUALLY PUT THESE SCHOOLS DOWN IN THEIR SCHOOL SELECTION LIST. THERE WERE APPROX 290 OUT OF THE 680 LISTING SHSG THAT WERE OUT OF ARE LAST YEAR WITH A FEW MORE FOR SOUTHEND. WHEN NARROWED DOWN THAT MEANS THAT APPROX 400 WERE TRYING FOR THE 230 INNER AREA PLACES.
OOOHH! FEEL QUITE TIRED AFTER THAT.

Post by Guest »

Don't suppose that you know which of the two girls schools required the lower pass mark (for out of area candidates) ?

Post by Guest »

Last year it was Southend High that required lower pass mark, my daughter was out of area and was higher up in southend high list than Westcliff, about 30 places I think. Though was offered her 1st place choice of Westcliff, and loves it! Though I am sure every year pass marks change for the different schools, depending on how well the candidates do who sit the test!

Post by Guest »

Last year it was Southend High that required lower pass mark, my daughter was out of area and was higher up in southend high list than Westcliff, about 30 places I think. Though was offered her 1st place choice of Westcliff, and loves it! Though I am sure every year pass marks change for the different schools, depending on how well the candidates do who sit the test!
GREYING PARENT

westcliff high

Post by GREYING PARENT »

my husband and i battled for weeks about which school would be best for our daughter as location wise westcliff was the better choice but the general chatter aroound the playground was that it was a very tough school. this was compounded by our piano teacher who went their 8 years ago saying 'whatever you do don't let your daughter go there'.
we ended up putting southend as our first choice even though it meant our daughter would have to bus there.
is the school as tough as we thought or have we made the wrong choice? won't matter if she gets bad news in march i guess but we are crossing our fingers on that one.