Poll: Should boys and girls be taught in separate classes?

General forum for Secondary Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
YoungSuccess

Poll: Should boys and girls be taught in separate classes?

Post by YoungSuccess »

"The leader of the Girls’ Schools Association has said that boys should be taught in single sex classes from 11-16 to protect them from the “classroom domination” of girls. Do you agree?"
( Credit - Schools Improvement poll - 5 Jan 15)
And;
http://www.thesundaytimes.co.uk/sto/new ... 503185.ece" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Yes
No

Why?

:-)

A not restricted article here on DM;

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... -head.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by YoungSuccess on Tue Jan 06, 2015 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Guest55

Re: Poll: Should boys and girls be taught in separate classe

Post by Guest55 »

Do you think the views of someone form the GSA are likely to be unbiased? Hint: G = girls

Compare with this:
"The Sunday Times reported on 28th September that the Chief Inspector of Schools Sir Michael Wilshaw has said recently that girls and boys learn better when taught together in mixed classrooms rather than in single sex schools."

Having taught in single gender and mixed schools I know which I consider better.
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

Personally, having been to an all girls school, I had told my husband that if we had a girl, we were never sending them to an all girls environment - especially an overtly competitive environment like a grammar school. This opinion has been bourne out by my working career as well!

I am, however, happy that my boys are in a single sex school - for them it works - they feel happier and more confident surrounded by and working with other boys and enjoy their time with girls on a social level all the more for it. I am sure there will be folks who come along and say the opposite - but this is my experience.
YoungSuccess

Post by YoungSuccess »

Guest55 wrote:Do you think the views of someone form the GSA are likely to be unbiased? Hint: G = girls
It is a post, to invite calm friendly discussion, not an invitation for a match, to prove who has more experienced etc..
Guest55 wrote: Having taught in single gender and mixed schools I know which I consider better.
A lot of members here are teachers / have taught in schools too. One teacher's experience, doesn't make it the truth. ....... [Edited by moderator]
Last edited by YoungSuccess on Tue Jan 06, 2015 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
YoungSuccess

Post by YoungSuccess »

kenyancowgirl wrote:Personally, having been to an all girls school, I had told my husband that if we had a girl, we were never sending them to an all girls environment - especially an overtly competitive environment like a grammar school. This opinion has been bourne out by my working career as well!

I am, however, happy that my boys are in a single sex school - for them it works - they feel happier and more confident surrounded by and working with other boys and enjoy their time with girls on a social level all the more for it. I am sure there will be folks who come along and say the opposite - but this is my experience.
Excellent input Kenyacowgirl (lol, that's a funny name! :-) )

Having taught in 4 different schools, single sex and mixed, and at universities, abroad and here (but I am not on a high horse, I must add) - my own preference is single sex school at 11 - 16 too. Others will not agree of course.
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

Tbh I think it's down to the individual child as to whether it is right for them or not.

I was against my DD going to a girls school, but she loved the idea and wanted to go. As I had some issue or other with all the schools we were considering, this was the only issue I had with the school she is at.

I would have hated it myself so that probably clouded my judgement. She is happy and doesn't want to even consider a mixed school. If we had more than one child I wouldn't assume that single sex school would be the right thing just because DD was at one.
YoungSuccess

Post by YoungSuccess »

Tinkers wrote:Tbh I think it's down to the individual child as to whether it is right for them or not.

I was against my DD going to a girls school, but she loved the idea and wanted to go. As I had some issue or other with all the schools we were considering, this was the only issue I had with the school she is at.

I would have hated it myself so that probably clouded my judgement. She is happy and doesn't want to even consider a mixed school. If we had more than one child I wouldn't assume that single sex school would be the right thing just because DD was at one.
My own experience teaching in a mixed and later in a single school was that I had to deal with "a lot more " issues " in mixed secondary, whereas in the boys only school, I was able to get on with what I wanted to do and taught more effectively. I always wondered what it would be like in a girls only secondary school. My subsequent shorter experience points to the validity of what Alun Jones said about how girls are "intimidating" to boys. In fact I am seeing it now in a mixed Year 6. But others my have a different experience.

A not restricted article here on DM;

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... -head.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

I agree with the view that it depends on the child. DC would have loved to be at mixed grammar, but has settled very well at single sex school. DC2 definitely is more interested in going to mixed sex school. However, that's an option only with a local independent school, if we could come up with fees, in which case there would be other better options - but all single sex. :wink:
KB

Post by KB »

There has been academic research in the past that both girls and boys do better in single sex classes but not necessarily in single sex schools.
I did my dissertation on a similar subject many years ago and there were trials of single sex teaching of some subjects where one gender tends to dominate but within mixed sex schools.

My experience when at school was of boys trying to dominate in physics, maths and science and generally of them showing off which could disrupt lessons.

However the 'feedback' I have had from friends with girls at all girls schools is that all but the most competitive find it tough going emotionally.

One DD refused an all girls school and thrived at mixed school but she generally makes friends more easily with boys and at that age preferred sport to girly ' silliness'.

DSs thrived at all boys school but had plenty of female friends out of school so seem to have had best of both worlds.

Research can only provide statistics and observation so while helpful in informing debate, when it comes to an individual child the answer may not be the same.

At 'our' GS the boys are joined by girls in year 12 and there was evidence of very bright girls not participating in class due to lack of confidence. It was an issue addressed by senior management and teaching staff within lessons with success.
Makes me wonder whether really good teachers are more important than gender of the class....
Minesatea

Post by Minesatea »

I have a boy who until recently was in all boys (now mixed sixth form) and a girl in an all girls school. Both are have been very happy. I think DD has benefited from the all girl environment more, as she lacks confidence in maths and sciences anyway. She is very sporty and has not found the all girl school a problem. Probably though I would say the school staff and ethos is more important to their happiness/success than whether the classrooms are single sex or mixed.

However having been to a mixed sixth form myself where I was the only girl in both my A level physics and maths sets, and had to put up with 2 years of male egos, I would have preferred an all girls school!