Travelling to Maidstone Grammars by Train

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

cs13

Travelling to Maidstone Grammars by Train

Post by cs13 »

Does anyone have any experience of boys travelling by train to Maidstone East to get to Oakwood Park Grammar please?

Is the school a very long way from that station and if so, do the boys walk or take a bus to the school?

Any help or advice would be much appreciated.
anotherworriedmum

Re: Travelling to Maidstone Grammars by Train

Post by anotherworriedmum »

My son goes to OPGS but not via this route. Its quite a trek on foot, a good 20/30 minute uphill walk on the way to school, over the bridge and all the way up the hill either on Hermitage Lane or Tonbridge Road but there are other children going to MGGS and Maplesden Noakes who walk part of the way and I would think there might be one or two more going to OPGS too.

I would think its easier, but not necessarily quicker, to walk along into town and get the bus towards Barming.

Do you have another travel option? Can he get to Maidstone West station instead?
frangipani

Post by frangipani »

From Maidstone East he could cross the footbridge and walk up Buckland Hill, then Bower Mount Road. I see lots of boys taking this route from Maidstone East and Barracks stations.
cs13

Post by cs13 »

Thanks for the advice. Do you know if the buses from Maidstone town centre to and from Barming are pretty frequent? And do the Oakwood boys use these buses?
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now