The exam

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
cazien

The exam

Post by cazien »

Just wondered if any parents of DC's who sat the test last year could let us know the format of the new exam?

I know they sit two papers (1 hour each?) and both papers are split into ??sections. Are the sections timed and are they told when to move onto the next section? Are they allowed to go back to a section if they didn't finish it, but finish the next one early? Or do they just work their way through the paper?

Any info appreciated.
Stressed?Moi?

Re: The exam

Post by Stressed?Moi? »

I really can't remember so not much help apart from to say that they definitely can't go back. They are told by the invigilator when it's time to move onto the next section.
cazien

Post by cazien »

Stressed?Moi? wrote:I really can't remember so not much help apart from to say that they definitely can't go back. They are told by the invigilator when it's time to move onto the next section.
Thanks Stressed?Moi? - it was the "going back" bit I was most interested in as DD likes to do the ones she finds easiest first and then go back to the ones that she finds time consuming :lol:
Weaver

Post by Weaver »

Yes, they have to learn to fully attempt a section, because there is no going back. You can still do the easiest ones in a section first. You also have no idea what is coming up in the next section!
DC17C

Post by DC17C »

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... 70&t=37330" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
This links to CEM familiarisation papers from other areas ....might be worth a look.
DebsB

Post by DebsB »

I have DD here dictating to me....

You come in through your gate and get into your groups. The two tests are each 45 minutes long with a snack and toilet break in between. (There's a toilet break before the first test too.) Test one has maths 1, maths 2, English 1, English 2, comprehension and NVR. Test two has maths 1,2&3 and English 1&2, VR and more comprehension. (Well, that's what I can remember, but I'm not sure.)

You have to put the answers on the answer sheet, not on the paper. They will put you with people from your school unless they get extra time and go in a separate group in a different room. You can only answer the section you're supposed to be doing at the moment, and not go back and change anything from before. You don't need to bring anything, just a snack and a drink plus your form with your photo on. You wear your sticky label to say who you are and which group and which gate.

I hope that helps. Some of the information is specific to HSFG - I think at some of the other schools you have to bring pencils, for example. If you have specific questions, I can put them to her for you.
RedVelvet

Post by RedVelvet »

^^ That's a lot more information than my son could manage! His only helpful thing was 'It wasn't as hard as the questions you made me do at home'.
DebsB

Post by DebsB »

RedVelvet wrote:^^ That's a lot more information than my son could manage! His only helpful thing was 'It wasn't as hard as the questions you made me do at home'.
She didn't manage anything like that level of information on the day, when she came out not able to say much at all, a bit overwhelmed and wanting to forget about it. Now that she's no longer worried about it, though (within PAN for her 1st choice school) she can think back and remember quite a lot!
Stressed?Moi?

Post by Stressed?Moi? »

There is a classic example of the difference in the sexes. Ds could remember hardly anything. He came out saying it was pretty bad and wanted a snack or McDonald's. He later said he thought he had only answered 5 maths questions :shock: ..... but then said it could have been a dream. He qualified so luckily it was. Compare that with dd a couple of years ago who remembered considerably more.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now