Fluctuating allocation distances for Dr Challoners

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Maybe moving

Fluctuating allocation distances for Dr Challoners

Post by Maybe moving »

We are thinking of moving to Gerrards Cross from outside Buckinghamshire and are struggling to understand the annual changes in the allocation profile distances. Obviously there was a change at the point where the measurement process changed to straight line measurement but we were wondering why there was a distance of over a mile for in catchment application in the last two years. Is it purely the number and spread of children and siblings that happen to apply in a given year or is there something specific that determines the answer. All the houses we are looking at are relatively close to the outer part of the catchment (and for the other boys grammars as well). I would really appreciate any advice.
Guest55

Re: Fluctuating allocation distances for Dr Challoners

Post by Guest55 »

Gerrards X suffers from issues of getting in to the Challoners schools. To be safe you need to be nearer ie in the Chalfonts or in Amersham itself.

No-one can predict which children will qualify, which school they put first and where they live .... these three variables make GX a risk.
Maybe moving

Post by Maybe moving »

Thanks for your reply. So it is the case that the annual allocation distance is based on a variety of random factors that it is impossible to calculate years in advance...That's what I feared.

I suppose I was also wondering whether the whole of Gerrards Cross had that problem or if there was a particular part of the place/certain streets where catchment was less of an issue. Some of the town does seem to be in the 3 shared catchments rather than that of just Dr Challoners which I suppose would statistically improve your chances. Its frustrating as all the houses we are looking at are in catchments, it's just the distances that are in issue in certain years. I don't drive and have a London commute so more rural Bucks or villages are not ideal.

I was told when I called the CC that if your child passed the 11+ but didn't get in to a catchment school due to distance allocation that they would send them to an undersubscribed grammar anywhere in the county even if they had not listed it. Is that correct or would they send them to the nearest Upper school?
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

I think it's all of that area although I don't live locally. Sally-Anne may be able to help - maybe PM her?

If you want to be sure of DCGS you need to live nearer the school - there are stations in Amersham (very near DCGS) and Chalfont & Latimer.
MrsH173015

Post by MrsH173015 »

We're on the side of Gerrards Cross closest to Challoners and didn't get in in 2012. That said, we would have the next 2 years. It really is the whole town which is a gamble as far as DCGS is concerned. Most of the town is also in catchment for RGS and John Hampden in Wycombe. Both are very good schools and I have never known boys from GX fail to get into one or the other so I really wouldn't worry about the likelihood of ending up elsewhere in county.
Maybe moving

Post by Maybe moving »

Thanks Mrs H. I will definitely need to go for somewhere in the shared catchment area I think and then have realistic expectations. Both the other two schools do sound very good too.

Do you happen to know where people in pure DCGS catchment go when they don't get in on distance? The CC told me most go to Chesham, was that your experience?
jabba7

Post by jabba7 »

If you are commuting to London you can take the tube from Amersham for roughly a third of the price of Chiltern trains
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

You need to be sure you are happy with the Upper schools as well. But, yes, if your child passes the 11 plus in Gerrards Cross they should get one of RGS, JHGS or DCGS.
scary mum
Y

Post by Y »

There was a year when even boys in some parts of Beaconsfield didn't get allocated a place at RGS.

You'll need to check the current situation, but it used to be that when you fill in the form, you specify that if your child doesn't get any of your chosen grammars, but is qualified, then you will accept an alternative grammar over your selected upper. Or possibly, the choice was the other way round. Anyway, you choose whether it's a grammar you haven't listed, or an upper you have.
Rob Clark

Post by Rob Clark »

If you are commuting to London you can take the tube from Amersham for roughly a third of the price of Chiltern trains
Actually it's even better than that – you can still catch the Chiltern Line trains into Marylebone but you pay tube prices because the line is owned by London Underground. Same is true of Chalfont & Latimer.

Chesham Grammar is an excellent school but you should be aware that it is mixed. That may not bother you or your DS, but just thought I'd point it out as all the other GSs you have mentioned are boys' schools.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now