Good website for all subjects learning

General forum for Secondary Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
sweethome

Good website for all subjects learning

Post by sweethome »

My daughter is in Year 7 now. Her school has paid for the access for everyone to Mymaths.com. I am looking for a good learning & revision website for all secondary school subjects (including fee paying ones). Can anyone recommend some? Thanks.
kenyancowgirl

Re: Good website for all subjects learning

Post by kenyancowgirl »

I have always liked BBC bite size as it does exactly what it says on the tin.
sweethome

Post by sweethome »

Thanks, kenyancowgirl. She does use the BBC Bitesize but it only has 10 test questions for each learning session. I would like to find one that has a lot more practice questions.
QEB mum

Post by QEB mum »

For Maths - I know schools can subscribe to it. Could parents subscribe to it?
For English - BBC Bitesize, SAM learning. Again, I'm not sure whether parents can subscribe to it?
For science - BBC Bitesize. How about Khan academy? Does anyone know any other relevant websites that follow KS3 Science curriculum?
For History and Geography - any website/apps?
ICT - BBC bitesize. Anything else?

Let's make a list of websites and apps relevant to KS3 subjects/curriculum.
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

QEB mum wrote:Let's make a list of websites and apps relevant to KS3 subjects/curriculum.
Please do not overlook Forum rules:
6. Links or references to external websites will be permitted solely at the discretion of moderators.
Please note that links or references to blogs and commercial websites are not normally allowed (but see no. 7 below.)
Any post deemed to be promotion of a product or service, whether related to the 11+ or not, will be treated as spam.
Unsolicited advertising via Private Message is spam, and members sending such PMs will be banned without warning.

7. Mentions of household names (e.g. Tesco, Amazon, etc) are usually permitted on the Forum.
Posts on topics that are "below the radar", such as a request for recommendations for guinea pig hutches, are generally permitted.
If members are in any doubt they should contact Moderators before posting.
These rules are designed to protect members from being led in to using sub-standard resources and to prevent spam-style posts from those are not what they purport to be.

I strongly suggest that you steer clear of posting paid-for resources, as these are most likely to be in breach of the rules.
Peridot

Post by Peridot »

Can I also politely suggest that if your children are only in year 7, unless you have specific problems that are not being addressed by teachers at school, that you trust the teachers at your school to teach your children properly. You should not need to be using extra resources for "all secondary school subjects". If the school has pointed your child towards mymaths for homework/topic revision that's great. Usually schools will tell pupils directly about any extra resources they should be using, without us parents interfering!

If you feel that your child needs extra help your first action should be to ask the form tutor or subject teacher at your child's school.

Regards
Peridot
Amber

Post by Amber »

+1
copella

Post by copella »

Another +1
Whenever our DC were struggling the best port of call has always been the school. I have been amazed by the extra support teachers have give in their own time. They make good suggestions of other resources too. When my DC were not struggling we left them too it, why give them additional work when it is not needed.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Another + 1 from me.

There are some poor websites and schools will point towards good ones. American based ones like **** have a number of issues and are to be avoided.

[Edited by moderator]

Moderators are neutral with regard to this particular website, but it's a topic that has been exhaustively discussed on the forum, with strong views for and against. We've no wish to see all the old arguments rehearsed again. Sorry.
russet

Post by russet »

I have used BBC Bitesize if my child has been off ill, just to make sure she has done some work on topics she has missed. For arts and humanities subjects, about which I know nothing, I think it is better than nothing and my child quite likes doing the topics from site. However, it does not have the same depth as her school work.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now