Kes Interview

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
clearsky

Kes Interview

Post by clearsky »

Kes may start calling parents tomorrow or friday as the leaflet given on test day states some interview will take place on 19th January which is next Monday. All the best to all the childrens who took the test.
gcpa

Re: Kes Interview

Post by gcpa »

Are they interviewing everyone or only the pupils considered for scholarships, A.P and borderline?
moseleymum

Post by moseleymum »

It's only the boys in those 3 categories.

Didn't you get an email from Mrs Phillips the admissions tutor? She wrote

" the interview is not a 'mandatory' part of our examination. Only about 150 boys get interviewed out of nearly 800 candidates. So, if you were to spend money on coaching, you have over a 75% chance of wasting your money.
The interview process is deliberately designed to be varied and unpredictable so that boys cannot be coached for it. We certainly won't be asking any questions about the school's history.
What we want at interview is for a boy to be himself, not something that has been prepared."
bluejay

Post by bluejay »

Quick heads up:

My friend has just advised that she has received a call this afternoon for an AP interview.

Good Luck to all those waiting and keep that phone handy!
clearsky

Post by clearsky »

Did anyone else recieve any call for a interview?
moseleymum

Post by moseleymum »

I know of a boy being called for a scholarship interview. It's still early days though and calls will continue into next week.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

The thing to remember about the interviews is that if you don't get it doesn;t necessariy mean that you won't get a place. Some who are not interviewed will be offered full fee paying places
Natalie74

Post by Natalie74 »

My DS went through the interview process this time last year. I used to sit and ask him questions about himself trying to prepare him. The thing that really helped was I recorded him answering the questions on my phone then I'd play it back to him. It was really good as when I asked him about his hobbies he became quite animated with his face lighting up and using facial expression and his hands. Whereas, when I asked him to tell me about himsellf he used a monotone voice with little expression. So by watching himself back he became more aware and it gave him more confidence to do that during the actual interview. Looking back, there was no way I'd have been able to prepare him for the questions they asked as they were completely random. I remember worrying if I should buy him a suit but after asking the question on the forum I was advised to send him in his school uniform. I'm pleased to say, he was offered a full assisted place. Best of luck to you all. X
moseleymum

Post by moseleymum »

Here are some interesting points
Catseye wrote:here are my suggestion

Dress Code

wear the school uniform-especially if from State Primary make a virtue of your "lowly status".
if from prep avoid ostentatious display of a 101 merit badges(they know all about theses already from the school report and they look ridiculous)

arrive early

but not too early waiting makes children nervous, and avoid unnecessary conversation with other parents or applicants , it never helps

"prep"

in my experience is mostly a waste of time, but advise your child to repeat the question if not understood or some thinking time is required i.e" Don’t fire out the first thing that comes into your head" Speed of response won’t impress.
but get a friend unfamiliar to the aforementioned child to interview her/him in a formal setting, not at home

post interview

leave promptly do not hang around , go for a well earned meal or other treat but do not conduct a post-mortem except for the cursory "how did it go" , the die is cast and what will be will be, if you cannot resist wait until the next day at least.

good luck
Taken from
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... 31&t=40888" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
um

Post by um »

I think the most important part is to ensure this isn't an ordeal for your child. They are still young.
Do whatever you can to make them feel relaxed and confident about going in.

If your child isn't used to the Indie school environment, or might feel a little bit cowed by seeing prep school children in their blazers and '101 badges', then talk them through it beforehand so they don't suffer any surprises. Bring a book or magazine that your child genuinely enjoys, to read while waiting (not A Tale of Two Cities just to look good :lol: ).
Assure them that you love them and they're the best for you whatever happens :D