Telltale signs of a Very Good Tutor

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Potterfan

Telltale signs of a Very Good Tutor

Post by Potterfan »

With just over 7 months to the Boys Exams, I am wondering what other students are doing with their tutors?

Basically, how do you know whether your tutor is good?

Perhaps, someone who has survived this experience might be wiling to share what their DC's tutor did or A practising tutor might feel confident to share best practices.
Martin_Procter

Re: Telltale signs of a Very Good Tutor

Post by Martin_Procter »

I suspect this is not what you wanted to hear… I think a good one-to-one tutor should not be following a strict pattern. Each child is different; his or her strengths and weaknesses must be taken into consideration when the tutor plans each tutoring session.
However, I would say that with 7 months to go, it is too early to be doing full practice papers except very occasionally.
Sorry to be so vague, but I couldn’t say what a tutor should be doing with a particular child without knowing the child.
moved

Post by moved »

I start with papers and use them as a teaching tool, analysis of gaps, etc. I use them all the way through but never in my teaching time, if private tuition.

Obviously I don't use the papers of the correct standard first. I start with easy papers and build up. The end is a test, so I think tests are integral to the process. The tests towards the end of the path should be as close to the real test as possible.

Within a school context, they take up precious time, but are very effective.

Edit: I'm often approached but no longer tutor. I realise the post gives the impression that this is current. My current teaching/tutoring is to the children in my school.
panicattack

Post by panicattack »

Check that there is proper tuition going on. Not just make them sit a paper while they make a cup of tea......
NENA

Post by NENA »

panicattack wrote:Check that there is proper tuition going on. Not just make them sit a paper while they make a cup of tea......
My DD's Tutor is pretty efficient In that regard, we had an initial assesment so we knew where she was in terms of capability and her weak areas. Once assessed we had a discussion with the tutor and they advised which areas in particular they will be focussing on and a plan of action for preparing her for the exam.

Our DD brings home her work so we can see her progress and have regular updates/meetings with the tutor to assess her progress.

I'm not sure how other tutors are working but I am very happy with ours. Most importantly the tutor has made our DD very confident and encourages her to ask all the right questions.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now