When is bed time ?

Key Stages 1-2 and SATs advice

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
BLuedrop

When is bed time ?

Post by BLuedrop »

Hi all,
Can I please ask - when does your primary school child go to sleep and when does he/she wake up ?

My little one is in year2. He does piano and reading every day along with 10-15 mins of structured work - Maths/spellings etc. I give him dinner at 7pm and honestly, dinner takes forever!! My husband comes home at 8pm. There is a lot of activity when he comes, its no longer calm and quiet ! I manage to get the child to bed at 8:15pm, he then struggles to fall asleep most days! Last night he was up until 10pm!! We wake him up at 6:45. Thats the farthest we can go as both of us work and we have to get the kids ready to drop off at the childminder's by 8am.
Lynniew100

Re: When is bed time ?

Post by Lynniew100 »

Hi,

My year 2 DS goes to bed at 8pm every night and is asleep within 5 min most of the time.
We don't do homework after school, we do ours in the morning before school. He's up by 6.30am most days and I don't work so we have till 8.30am to eat breakfast, change, get in 45min of structured work before school. He does do his piano after school before dinner.

:)
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

Dinner at 7pm sounds late to me for a Year 2 child...especially if school finishes at 3.30pm! Even now, my boys are Y7 and 9, we aim to eat at around 6.30/7. Maybe try moving dinner time earlier eg 6pm as then he will have time to digest properly - give him a bath and a bit of chill out time and then into bed with a snuggle and a read. To be fair, if he is sleeping 8 hours, he is probably getting a good amount, but you could try adjusting the routine slightly so that it is not so rushed in the morning.
Yamin151

Post by Yamin151 »

Agree with KCG, our twins have gradually got later but in year 2 were in bed by 7.15 after bath for reading from us and lights out by 7.30. Gradually later, and now in year 7, they are in bed by 8.30, we still usually read for ten mins of so, just because it's nice. They then get to read and turn own lights off, which they usually gave done by 9.30. They are up at 6.15 and 6.30 in the morning, bath has moved from evening to a morning shower.

Tea is now 6.30, from a primary school time of 5.30/6.

Very little structured work at home in primary years, but music practise always in morning, so that's a habit now.
Peridot

Post by Peridot »

We have never been that brilliant at bedtimes in this house :D but 7pm for dinner for a year 2 does sound quite late. Could that be why he doesn't settle down to sleep until late? - his body is probably still trying to digest the food, especially if dinner takes a long time. Just a thought.
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

At that age my DD was going to bed at 7:00 to 7:30 and maybe reading a little in bed. She gets up at 6:45am.

Long term sleep depravation shows itself very differently to lack of sleep for a night or two.

Maybe it would help if DH sat and read with him (something simply for fun rather than reading practise) when he got home rather than everything getting active again.
Peridot

Post by Peridot »

Tinkers is right - I have a feeling children of that age should be having way more than 8 hours' sleep a night. There is research on this available online although I couldn't tell you where offhand. We got away with 8pm-ish bedtimes at that age as ours used to wake up so late in the morning (8am followed by a mad dash to get ready for school!). Now that we all have a 6.30am start, in time for the 7.37am train, I remember those years very fondly.
Reading Mum

Post by Reading Mum »

my DD was going to bed by 7 or 7:30 at that age, having had a quiet wind down from 6:30 ish. She still gets sent up at 8:30 now in yr 8 - after getting ready and a bit of reading her light is out around 9pm and then the alarm goes at 6:40am.
Yamin151

Post by Yamin151 »

Peridot wrote:Tinkers is right - I have a feeling children of that age should be having way more than 8 hours' sleep a night. There is research on this available online although I couldn't tell you where offhand. We got away with 8pm-ish bedtimes at that age as ours used to wake up so late in the morning (8am followed by a mad dash to get ready for school!). Now that we all have a 6.30am start, in time for the 7.37am train, I remember those years very fondly.

Oh yes, me too. We were always up by 7, say, by a lovely leisurely time to leaving at 8.30. Now dh up at 5 to 5.45, I'm up at 5.45, Thing 1 and 2, 6.15-30, then Thing 2 out of house 7.30 and us at 8! We had total choice, and it works ok, but lie ins at weekend especially appreciated now!
moved

Post by moved »

We all go to bed at 10pm and the youngest of us is 17. Like many others mine were in bed by 7pm at that age.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now