KS2 SATs - practice work

Key Stages 1-2 and SATs advice

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
heartmum

KS2 SATs - practice work

Post by heartmum »

Now the new year is here, I'm looking at getting some worksheets/booklets to help DC in Y6 KS2 SATS. Maths and Reading are high but DCs Writing level is lower, what worksheets/booklets would be useful to get, or what could I do to help DC in this area?

DCs school seem keen to give extra tuition to those potential L6s or those they can get to a L4 (helps their figures) ... but with DC being a L4 (predicted just below 5C at end of year) in this area, they are not bothered and DC is just left coasting and is not being encouraged/or given extra work to achieve more (even when I have asked). Their comment - DCs a high level 4, above average, so there are no issues ... :evil: Hence me wanting to do more work at home with DC to improve this area. Advice please? :D
Heartmum x x x
Guest55

Re: KS2 SATs - practice work

Post by Guest55 »

Why not use old papers? They are all online (with answers) on:

http://www.emaths.co.uk/index.php?optio ... Itemid=504" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Writing is now teacher assessed so there is no 'paper' but you can use the examples for practice. If she was level 3 at KS1 then they need her to be a level 5 for 'expected progress'.
moved

Post by moved »

Golly, much better for their data to have level 5 rather than 4. My current intervention group is 4a to 5.
heartmum

Post by heartmum »

Guest55 wrote:Why not use old papers? They are all online (with answers) on:

http://www.emaths.co.uk/index.php?optio ... Itemid=504" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Writing is now teacher assessed so there is no 'paper' but you can use the examples for practice. If she was level 3 at KS1 then they need her to be a level 5 for 'expected progress'.
Thanks Guest55 I'll have a look at those :)

... the problem is that DC has progressed three levels from Y2 in Maths and Reading, but Writing just the required two - 2a Y2, 4a Y6, so the school is happy with that and feel they have done their bit! I'm of the opinion and the school must be too if giving extra tuition/work (three classes a week after school for 1 hour) to try and raise the levels for the potential L6s and L4s, that with additional work/support DC could achieve higher levels instead of being put with the general class and just cruising.

I have asked the school to give more work that I can do at home but this has not been forthcoming. As far as they are concerned DC has reached targets so no reason to push for a L5C when not needed (their results are fine !!!!) and to just focus on the L6s and L4s ... so frustrating :evil:
Heartmum x x x
heartmum

Post by heartmum »

moved wrote:Golly, much better for their data to have level 5 rather than 4. My current intervention group is 4a to 5.
I totally agree :roll:
Heartmum x x x
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Yes - they need at least 30% making more than expected progress!

In 2014 roughly 60% of KS1 level 2a got to level 5 in reading and maths ...
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

I have asked the school to give more work that I can do at home but this has not been forthcoming.
The problem is that it takes a fair amount of time to plan and produce this extra work, maybe you could ask what sort of things you could do with her at home. Try looking at starting sentences in different ways, using a range of punctuation. powerful adjectives, complex sentences etc.

These are the level descriptors for writing
http://www.lancsngfl.ac.uk/1to1tuition/ ... s%20A3.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

should give you an idea of what is needed to justify a level 5 assesssment. It is best fit
mystery

Post by mystery »

Is this school doing booster sessions for writing for 3a to become 4 and 5a to become 6 or are these booster groups for maths and reading only? And what about spelling, punctuation and grammar? Do they do booster groups for this and what are they saying she currently is in s p a g and what is their test prediction?

Personally, I would be glad she was not going to 3 hours extra outside school because chances are that the same school that hasn't managed to get her to level 5 in writing in school hours is not going to manage outside school hours either. They have had many hours every day for seven years to teach her to write to nc levels (!) so the same time, or less, at home could be much better spent as you will take a different approach.

Or maybe they have not explained properly. Maybe they are confident that, because writing is teacher assessed, that they have enough time in lessons at school to get her to a five by the final date that they have to assess her schoolwork. This date will be later than the test dates.

If though they are saying that their prediction is 4a for her final result, that she is already 4a and they are not going to boost I would have a moan and also ask them for copies of all her assessed pieces of year 6 writing ( both in and not in her writing exercise book) with the teacher assessment details so you can see in what areas she is / is not achieving the level 5 criteria and how those pieces of work could be turned into level 5 pieces.

If they won't show you the levelling you should be entitled to it by making the correct request in writing and viewing it all in person or paying for photocopies. They have to give you this within 15 school days. Google search for how to look at your child's school record to find the education regulation which you need to quote.

Then you need to know how to boost the weak areas. There are several books which target level 5 writing - try looking at all the publications by cgp and rising stars and focus in on those aspects of your daughter's writing which are not hitting the level 5 buttons.
You may also find that aspects of her spelling, punctuation or grammar are letting her down and that the s p a g books in these series would help.
Tolstoy

Post by Tolstoy »

heartmum wrote: I'm of the opinion and the school must be too if giving extra tuition/work (three classes a week after school for 1 hour) to try and raise the levels for the potential L6s and L4s, that with additional work/support DC could achieve higher levels instead of being put with the general class and just cruising. :evil:
I agree with Mystery I would certainly not allow my DC to stay in school an extra three hours a week just to raise their statistics. If DC achieve these levels then it should be because they are needing extension work during their normal lessons during a school day. This was my fear when I came back here to find level 6 the new hot topic. The curse of the league tables :roll: and DP should put aside their own competativeness and say no I will not inflict this on my DC, enough is enough.
heartmum

Post by heartmum »

Thank you for your replies, much appreciated :)

I think the best course of action is for me to go over KS2 papers at home, including some Written practice work. DCs is strong in Reading/Comprehension L5a/6, spelling age 14½ yrs; so just need to focus more on writing skills. Might make a next best selling Author out of her yet :D :lol:
Heartmum x x x