Interview at Magdalen College School Oxford

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
nadinne_le_moianeau

Interview at Magdalen College School Oxford

Post by nadinne_le_moianeau »

Hi Indie Moms,

I'd like to ask those of you with info or experience from their children of the Magdalen College School's interview. I will appreciate some detailed description of the interviewing process, as it seems that MCS does not do it the standard way. The DC should bring an object to talk about and then they are given a text to discuss.....it seems to me that the Panel would not do it as the rest of the indies. ....I am slightly nervous as I would like to prepare my child but not knowing details is wakening a bit of anxiety in me...
indiemom

Re: Interview at Magdalen College School Oxford

Post by indiemom »

Your post looked lonely so thought of responding to it :)

I am also in the same boat as you, asked the same question sometime back and below is the link to what I heard from a helpful member.

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... 31&t=40587" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

hope that helps.

I always wondered why there is so little discussed about this school in the forum ? May be because it's not very near London and surrounding areas.
nadinne_le_moianeau

Hi Indiemom,

Thank you for being the only one who took time and kindly replied. Now that the exam is gone, I guess we are both waiting the results this Friday and we are hoping for interview invitation. :)

How was your son feeling after the exam? Did he find it easy/difficult/ ok??? Did your son agree with what Tim Hands said about the maths paper being impossible and grueling?

It seems to me that, being away from London, Magdalen CS is somewhat very unpopular topic for discussions in here. And I can't find too much about the whole admission/exam/interview process anywhere else.
indiemom

Post by indiemom »

Yes I am waiting for the response from MCS, sorry didn't know that they will let us know on this Friday, keeping fingers crossed :)

You are right, this school being not in London is not very talked about and I think the parents are not in this forum as well, that's why we get so less response from this forum.

I didn't get any feedback from the boys ( I have twins :) ) as dad said no discussion after the exam.

But this is the only independent school which is asking for acceptance of place by 2nd March which is also the national allocation day for state schools.
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

Nadine....this is a bit uncalled for!! "Thank you for being the only one who took time and kindly replied"

Better that no-one replies than people reply with no knowledge....

The majority of parents on this forum are state school parents. By that, I mean they are looking for a GS place for their child, not only because it is perceived as a better education but also because, for the majority, paying for private school is completely out of the question. MCS is a fairly expensive example, locally, of a private school - i.e. it costs more than alternatives in the local area so is only within the reach of a few. I suspect a lot of potential MCS parents are a) not on the forum and b) not wanting to discuss the interview process beforehand, due to the competitive nature of admissions to the school.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

I think that many people who are talking about indies on this forum are also looking at state GS. So the indies discussed tend to be in areas where there are Grammar Schools. Oxford hasn't got any GS so does tend not to get much attention on the forum as other places.

Hope all goes OK
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

Nadine, hopefully at a later time, you will be able to tell us about the exam and the interview process for the parents looking up for this school in the coming years.
indiemom

Post by indiemom »

hermanmunster wrote:I think that many people who are talking about indies on this forum are also looking at state GS. So the indies discussed tend to be in areas where there are Grammar Schools. Oxford hasn't got any GS so does tend not to get much attention on the forum as other places.

Hope all goes OK

I will agree to this argument partially :)

We live in Reading and it has got good grammar schools like Reading School (for boys) and Kendrick (for girls) but still I felt that there is less hustle bustle in the forum compared to London and Greater London forums. Nothing wrong in it but that's what I felt. It's just the geographical location for that matter may be. :D

And ofcourse Oxford is not talked about much because there are no grammar schools. :)
nadinne_le_moianeau

Well, I live in Buckinghamshire, where we can't complain from the lack of Grammar Schools.

But then again the forum has a section "Independent Schools" and the exams taken in the indies are also are at the age of 11+, so naturally and logically one would think that there might be a lively discussion with plenty of friendly information exchange about this school or the other regardless the geographical location.... And I am grateful to everybody responding as this forum in general is extremely helpful and valuable.....

And of course once the whole thing is over, and as soon as we receive indie offers or grammar allocations - I will gladly share all my experience about it. :)
nadinne_le_moianeau

Now that DC have been through all parts of the examination process in MCS, what do you, dear mums, think as parents about it and how did the DC found it?

And another question: do you know now many days after the interviews should we expect offers/refusals? I think this might have been mentioned by the headmaster in his address to the parents on the day of the written exam, but I can't remember... :)