Interview at Latymer Upper and Alleyns

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
EATU

Interview at Latymer Upper and Alleyns

Post by EATU »

Hi,

My DS has been invited for interviews at Latymer Upper and Alleyns. Latymers letter says there will be questions of ' an academic nature as well as some general questions'. I dont know what to expect and was wondering if any of you has any experience with interviews at these 2 schools. He is coming from a state primary school where very few kids try for independents so we dont really have anyone to ask. The 2 interviews are on the same day in a few days and i am anxious and dont know how to prepare him......
Catseye

Re: Interview at Latymer Upper and Alleyns

Post by Catseye »

EATU wrote: He is coming from a state primary school where very few kids try for independents so we dont really have anyone to ask.
firstly well done :D

all the info you need is already here!

seek and thou shall find :wink:
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

From our experience in 2012, do not prepare. Let him be himself. That's what they want to assess.
mad?

Post by mad? »

Latymer Upper will ask some 'academic' questions to see how DC thinks/works. More about whether they have the ability to work something out and learn, as opposed to a test of what has been taught to them already. It will be conversational and interactive, not a grilling. They are very used to kids from sate primaries and are looking for potential, not attainment. You need not worry nor prepare. There will be prefects and teachers around to chat to and, I warned DD2 about this, some kids in stripy blazers with enough medals to rival a Chelsea Pensioner. Do not let DC be perturbed by this, a wry smile - nay little snigger, will be acceptable form. No experience of Alleyns I am afraid as way too far away for us.
mad?
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

An academic interview tends to consist of a verbal exam. So a few maths questions to work out in your head and then a short comprehension to read and answer questions on. Perhaps a few maths or vr puzzles to work out. Possibly a picture to respond to. Important not to fall apart if they get a few wrong but keep on going. They are looking at how they cope with the pressure of the situation. So they must keep calm. DG
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

some kids in stripy blazers with enough medals to rival a Chelsea Pensioner.
Remember a kid at Tiffin's test in 2012. We counted at least 40 different badges. But many kids with severely badged blazers at Indies test and interview date. DC went in normal school uniform and earned a place there, (without any badge).
EATU

Post by EATU »

Thanks for all your comments and advice.

The letter says kids should dress in 'smart casual or school uniform'. Given its a Saturday evening I am leaning towards smart casual. His school doesn't even have a blazer :D and I dont really see the need to wear his uniform on a Saturday evening ........
mad?

Post by mad? »

Not sure about Alleyns but there will be plenty of kids at Latymer not in school uniform. As you say, it is a Saturday!
mad?
Catseye

Post by Catseye »

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... +interview" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Ladymuck

Post by Ladymuck »

Deleted by user.