Academic scholarship

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Matrix

Academic scholarship

Post by Matrix »

Hi
DD has been offered an academic scholarship for 7 years ie. incl 6th form.

We are obviously delighted but I wonder if there are any stipulations and whether it can be withdrawn?

Has anyone got experience of these types of scholarships?

Thanks
Daogroupie

Re: Academic scholarship

Post by Daogroupie »

I know of students with academic scholarships. They are required to work hard and get good marks consistently. If they fall below par they are required to attend an academic review and could have the award removed or so they have been told. DG
Ladymuck

Post by Ladymuck »

Deleted by user.
Last edited by Ladymuck on Sat Mar 21, 2015 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

Our son was offered a full scholarship - there were stipulations about maintaining academic levels, behaviour and a requirement to attend weekly "scholars' meetings/talks and be available for any outside school events to help out with parents etc. I think these sorts of things are fairly standard, but, as Ladymuck says, none of the schools we applied for offered the scholarship outright to 6th form in the first instance - they all required excellent GCSE results first, before they would confirm it. In the end we opted for a school that met his needs far more adequately.
muffinmonster

Post by muffinmonster »

Congratulations to your DS!

My DS was offered a scholarship right through to 6th form (50% of fees), which we accepted. There is an expectation that he will work hard and maintain high academic standards, and participate in extracurricular activities, but none of that has been a problem. There are no specific 'duties' or grade requirements. Towards the end of each academic year he is interviewed by the head of school and we get a letter to say that they are happy with his progress; the interview seems quite relaxed.

I have never heard of anyone having a scholarship withdrawn, though I know of a scholarship girl (different school) who did badly in Y12 (AS exams) and was required by the school not only to repeat the year, but to change her subject choices.

If you like the school and are minded to accept the place, why not give them a ring and ask if there are any specific requirements? I would think if your DS is good enough to get a scholarship then he won't have any trouble keeping up standards.
CPM1771

Post by CPM1771 »

If your concern is that the scholarship might be taken away, you then can't pay fees and have to move schools then I think you can assume that is going to be highly unlikely. It does, however provide additional motivation for DC to stick to straight and narrow and work hard. You will be required to sign some form of agreement and it will contain all of the terms. As others have said it will include requirement that they work hard and maintain school standards. From my DS point of view his 50% goes through to the end of school with limited conditions. Just check the small print. I am sure the school will regard it as a failure themselves if they ever had to take it away and would be extremely reluctant. I am sure it must happen, just as some schools will ask underperforming children to leave, but I imagine it is highly unusual.

Congratulations.
mike1880

Post by mike1880 »

Our daughter was offered a scholarship right through, it was in fact stated that if she left before the end of 6th form the school would demand repayment of the whole amount :shock:
musicmum

Post by musicmum »

DD has an academic scholarship (37.5% of fees) through to the end of 6th form (she's currently in Y7). The offer letter mentioned continuing to strive for excellence and an expectation that she will participate in extension activities offered to all scholars, but no mention of GCSE results.
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

The requirement for excellent GCSE results will be there - it will apply to everyone moving into 6th form - there will be a requirement to achieve a certain level (in indies/GS round us it is pretty high) to gain entry - the point being that just because they have offered a scholarship through to 6th Form does not mean that the child is guaranteed entry to the 6th form.
Caring_mum

Post by Caring_mum »

Congratulations everyone. What schools are all your children into?
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now