Rough idea of how many correct marks needed

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Last1973

Rough idea of how many correct marks needed

Post by Last1973 »

We are doing practice papers but I have no idea what sort of mark we should be looking at to have a good chance.
Any info will be helpful.
Thanks
mystery

Re: Rough idea of how many correct marks needed

Post by mystery »

What practice papers are you doing?
Last1973

Post by Last1973 »

Hi
It's the variety pack gl assessments
Thanks
mystery

Post by mystery »

Ok, well the GL practice papers are not intended to be the same level of difficulty as one another / the real thing in Kent, but to give you a rough idea the types of question on there are a good guide to the real thing (except of course spatial reasoning is missing in the NVR) and the real thing was faster per question in the maths this year.

Normally the pass mark is around a raw score of 50% in each subject. Last year NVR and VR were lumped together in the marking and it was around 50% I think, English was much higher to pass and maths was much lower to pass.

I think if you dig around in some the threads where last year's "new" test was discussed you'll get some good ideas. You can also f o i Kent County Council.

But I would suspect that they aim for it be around raw score 50% for a pass and that if it is much lower or higher that something went a bit awry in the design of the paper that year maybe!
Last1973

Post by Last1973 »

Hi
When you saw raw score what does that mean. Does she need to get half the questions correct on each paper to get a chance.
Sorry I'm new to this.
Thanks
mystery

Post by mystery »

In the real papers, before the recent changes to the Kent test, it was roughly half correct on each paper to pass.

Last year, in the real thing, it was less than half right in maths (but the time per question was shorter), a lot more than half right in English, and about half right in VR and NVR combined.

It may not be the same this year and the practice papers are not necessarily the same level of difficulty. But it gives you the idea that you are certainly not needing 100% to pass, but that if the get the paper a bit wrong (like they did with the English this year in my view) sometimes the proportion you have to get right to pass a paper is quite high.

Best thing is just to be prepared for surprises and for the child to know that they don't have to get 100%, guess and move on with questions they are finding too tricky or time-consuming etc.
Last1973

Post by Last1973 »

Thanks that's a great help.
Should we be using any other practice papers apart from gl.
mystery

Post by mystery »

There are 32 gl practice papers -8 in each of the four subjects. The gl practice papers do not cover spatial reasoning - so you need to find some spatial reasoning material too.

Then, if you want to do more than this, any multiple choice stuff from cgp and first past the post in the relevant subjects would be quite good too - but possibly more difficult. Maybe you could get a lot of mileage out if repeating the gl stuff though?

All depends how much time you are wanting to spend.

People do pass with no work. All depends on ability, test taking skills, and school experience so far.

Good luck!
Last1973

Post by Last1973 »

Thanks
neveragainmum

Post by neveragainmum »

Is spatial reasoning the same as nets and cubes, 3d shapes or something different, just a bit confused?
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now