berks buck 11+

Eleven Plus (11+) in Berkshire (Berks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
el

berks buck 11+

Post by el »

Does anyone have recent knowledge of bucks/berks exams? I know a few children who passed berks but failed bucks. Is bucks much harder ? I know berks is vr, nvr & maths and bucks is just vr, are they both multiple choice?

thanks

el
Bewildered

Re: berks buck 11+

Post by Bewildered »

el wrote:Does anyone have recent knowledge of bucks/berks exams? I know a few children who passed berks but failed bucks. Is bucks much harder ? I know berks is vr, nvr & maths and bucks is just vr, are they both multiple choice?
thanks
el
El,

Berks Grammars sit 3 separate tests, with the average of the 3 being the final score. If your child is not strong at VR, Bucks makes no allowance and would therefore appear harder.
As Berks test for a more cross curricular knowledge, it would suit children strong in Maths, VR or NVR, and as averages come into play, a child stronger in one or two areas will boost the average score across the three; thus making the Berks appear easier than Bucks.
Both Berks and Bucks sit M/C tests

HTH
BW
el

Post by el »

thanks bewildered

i see so if my daughter is strong on maths and as far as i know ok on vr she would still stand a chance even though not great with nvr? do you know if berks use the same 21 question types used in bucks?

thanks again for your quick reply

el
Bewildered

Post by Bewildered »

el wrote: do you know if berks use the same 21 question types used in bucks?
I'm not sure if this has ever been ascertained for the Slough grammars, but think the consensus was to go with the 21 types. Chad may know more.

I think to date, the following thread may be of help.....

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... php?t=1956

HTH

BW
guest123

berks bucks

Post by guest123 »

Please note the pass mark for Bucks is 121/141 in Berks it is 111/141 hence Bucks seems harder.
chad

Post by chad »

Sorry....been away for a couple of days....it has never been confirmed as to the number of types. The papers are set by NFER and until we are told differenly I would err on the side of caution and familiarise a child with all 21 types.
As to the difference in pass marks.....the standardisation is administered differemtly in the two counties, Slough standardises to 100 whereas Bucks standardises to 110 (I think...pls correct me if I am wrong). There was a thread on this some time ago...I will post the link if I can find it :roll: .
All it means is that although there is a different passmark...one is not 'easier' than the other.
Catherine

Post by Catherine »

Hi el,

My son took both Slough and Bucks exams two years ago.
Hi results for the VR in Slough were a bit higher compared to the pass mark I think, but of course this is only one example.
However as Bucks pupils have only got one subject to concentrate on, may be the VR standard is higher in Bucks. It is just a guess on my part, not a fact.

As for the 21 question types, I don't know more than everyone else. Last year some people reported that there were questions about the 'extra types', but nothing confirmed.

All the Slough and Bucks tests are multi-choice.

I am assuming that you are looking at the Slough tests rather than the Reading ones. Is that correct?
el

Post by el »

HI CATHERINE,

yes I am only looking at slough & only st bernards as thats the only school my daughter would have any friends. We moved to chorleywood last year, so I'm very torn between bucks & berks. Had always thought we would try for st bernards but now daughter has made new friends and would prefer clement danes or chesham. Thanx for your info, I have been using bond with her but will start multiple choice in the new year.

Glad to hear your son passed, did he get his first choice school?

el
Catherine

Post by Catherine »

Hi el,

You mentioned that you are using Bond for your son's practice. If this is for VR, I would strongly recommend that you switch for NFER- 21 question types based practice papers as advised elsewhere on this forum [will point you to the right place if you need it].
Bond NVR is also different from NFER.
It is suitable for maths, but there are also other suitable publishers.
My son is going to his first choice GS, Slough Grammar.
It is good to take both Slough and Bucks tests to increase your chances, but obviously it is more work.
There is a lot of advice on this forum, and please don't hesitate to ask if you have any question or need to be pointed to the right place.

Post by Guest »

Thanks to Chad & Catherine for your advise.

can you tell me how the berks tests are marked, what % do you need to get in each paper to pass? Also do you know if the marks are compared to children of same age when standardised. how many marks will october birthday need compared to june.

sorry to waffle but there seems a lot to learn and I dont feel like leaving anything to chance if I can help it.

thanks again

el
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now