Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Melx

Maths in year 8

Post by Melx »

Is there a book I can buy that covers Maths in year 8

Mel
chad

Post by chad »

Are you looking for a reference book? or more of a text book? :)
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

If its for an able pupil one of the best is Oxford Framework Maths 8E - goes through each learning objective in a double page spread.
Road Runner

Mel x

Post by Road Runner »

Hi guys

Yes I am looking for one that my son could use for revision. He seems to do well in class, reading his books confirms this but when he comes to tests he falls down. I thought If I got him a good revision guide it may help. Or if you have any advice I'd be glad to hear it.

Guest55 wasn't sure what you mean by 'able'

Mel
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

This book is used in Grammar schools as a class text - it's not a revision guide but has lots of examples.
chad

Post by chad »

Sometimes it isn't the 'maths' that let them down.....it's understanding the question and knowing what 'maths solution' to apply. The only way to help with this is to get some old KS3 papers (you can get them in levels 5-7 and 6-8 ) and go through the types of question they will be asked. I had to do this for the KS2 Maths with my son.....and I will do it again this year for KS3. :)
Melx

Post by Melx »

Thanks Chad.

Having read your postings it is clear you take a very keen interest in your sons work and Its good to know I am not on my own trying to help my son do better.

What you say could be right with my son. As I said he does appear to do well in class but perhaps he isn't understanding the layout of questions in the tests.

Another thing and if you prefer(given some other peoples views on helping)by all means PM me.

How do you manage to get your son to let you help him mine just sees it as interfering and says I am pressuring him which in turn makes me feel very guilty

Mel
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

For 'old' KS3 maths papers see:

http://www.emaths.co.uk/KS3SAT.htm

also interactive papers ... looks useful!!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now