Hypothetical commute from Tonbridge to Skinners?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Loopy Lou

Hypothetical commute from Tonbridge to Skinners?

Post by Loopy Lou »

Hi, completely hypothetical of course, but I would appreciate opinions on how to get from Tonbridge Train Station to Skinners, would it be best to continue on train to Tunbridge Wells and walk/bus or get off and catch a bus? And how long would a bus take down that stretch of road in rush hour!? What works out cheaper? I am finding it difficult to find the information as we are OOC and therefore not privy to subsidised travel. Does anyone else's DC do this commute?

We are wanting to try it out this half term but any opinions would be gratefully received!

many thanks ladies!
Guest55

Re: Hypothetical commute from Tonbridge to Skinners?

Post by Guest55 »

You need to try it during term time as everything is always more crowded and traffic chaos is also worse ...
Loopy Lou

Post by Loopy Lou »

thanks Guest55, I was thinking of that too, but I was thinking at half term I can drag my DS along as a bit of a (shock tactic) practice run... :D
tonbridgemum

Post by tonbridgemum »

Well we do this stretch every day by car from the station and it takes 45 mins!!!! The traffic is normally queuing from the junction with the A21 onto the Quarry hill and seems to get worse every week. Even though there is a small amount of bus lane, it is no quicker as it stops so often.
With this in mind, I would think it best for him to continue by train to Twells then walk up or even get a bus from the station that way up to Skinners.
I agree no point in trying the bus route during half term as it will take half the time. :?
I would be interested to hear how long it would take to walk from Twells station to Skinners. That may be more useful to try during half term. I'm guessing 20 minutes.
doodles

Post by doodles »

DS tells me that Skinners' to TW station takes him 15-20 minutes but it is downhill that way! So 20 minutes is probably about right.

Doing the journey during half term really won't serve any purpose apart from to show him the route also the term time only buses won't be running that week.
Kentishmaid

Post by Kentishmaid »

I think quite a lot of boys walk up from High Brooms Station
Loopy Lou

Post by Loopy Lou »

Ah now thats interesting Kentish Maid. I shall investigate. Thanks for all the replies if anyone else makes the journey please let me know how they do it! :D
PanicMode

Post by PanicMode »

We live very close to Skinners - lots of boys walk up from High Brooms station (probably about 20 mins) but there also seem to be lots from the TW station end - which would also be 20 mins as it is all uphill - probably 15 on the way back! Traffic is DIABOLICAL so during term time the A26 is often stationary so the buses must take ages.

(Mini rant coming up ) If you do drive your precious DS to Skinners in a big 4x4, please don't wait for them on both sides of the road with the double yellow lines on - someone else's precious child will get knocked down one of these days due to some of the totally selfish parking I see daily.......
Loopy Lou

Post by Loopy Lou »

thanks thats very helpful Panicmode!

I certainly will not (hypothetically) being driving, noway uh uh! (I too do not like great big 4 by 4's that is why I have a little, iddy-biddy, tiny, toy car!) :wink:
tonbridgemum

Post by tonbridgemum »

Who is your mini rant aimed at panic mode?
Although I do drive past Skinners each day on the way to another school this is because the bus fare is too dear for the DC I have to transport in the car.
Slightly unnecessary for you to go off topic and have a go at people who have to take their children by car.