Merchant Taylors Interview

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Ronaldo

Merchant Taylors Interview

Post by Ronaldo »

Any one have any idea of the format and past years experience of type of questions being asked at MTs interview.
Any help much appreciated
manicmum

Re: Merchant Taylors Interview

Post by manicmum »

Hope your the interview went well for you DS, or goes well if it's yet to happen.

Our DS can't really remember much about his interview but he does love the school. I'd say that the staff are really good at relaxing the boys and getting the best out of them so the only suggestion, if you've not yet been in for interview, is help him to relax in the run up to it & be himself.
coolmum123

Post by coolmum123 »

I agree with Mancmum.

My DS is now in Lower 6th having been there since year 7 - the teachers are all really nice. Just tell him to be himself and also he knows why he wants to come to MT.
It really isn't anything to worry about. Good luck to your DS.
Ronaldo

Post by Ronaldo »

coolmum123 wrote:I agree with Mancmum.

My DS is now in Lower 6th having been there since year 7 - the teachers are all really nice. Just tell him to be himself and also he knows why he wants to come to MT.
It really isn't anything to worry about. Good luck to your DS.
Thanks a lot both manicmum and coolmum for your encouraging words.

Can any of your DS remember whether the maths was mental maths or more complex on paper
ILove11plus

Post by ILove11plus »

Hello,

My DS is in year 8 at MTS and loves it.

For the interview, if I recall correctly he had to read a passage and answer questions on it. There were some questions on politics. He also had to interpret an image and comment on it.

It was quite relaxed and just general conversation and opinions of current hot topics.

Hope this helps!
manicmum

Post by manicmum »

Clearly all 3 of those MTS parents who've commented all had boys who came in early so I am guessing there might be differences of our boys experience. All of the detail that the school share on the website including sample papers is worth a look.

At 13+ I understand that all of the exam papers are written ones with verbal tests for languages. I seem to recall that DS was asked a maths question at interview but I suspect that was designed to see how he coped with the interaction of working out a complex problem in discussion with the interviewer. I wonder if that exercise was to see how 'teachable' he was.

Best of luck.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now