Appeal question - Kent

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

kal12003

Appeal question - Kent

Post by kal12003 »

Do the appeal panel see the order of schools put on the SCAF form?

Thanks in advance :)
Etienne

Re: Appeal question - Kent

Post by Etienne »

Some do, some don't - but before the hearing you should be given exactly the same information as the appeal panel, so you ought to know.
(There was a case in Kent where unknown to the parents the panel had information about preferences. This was a breach of the Appeals Code.)

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeals/general#a21" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Etienne
kal12003

Post by kal12003 »

Thank you Etinene :)

Would it go against us if we put the Grammar school we are appealing for 2nd on the form? Am not wanting to risk our other Non Grammar option by not putting it first as it is very popular.

Thanks
Ann
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

You should list the schools in your true order of preference.

If the grammar school is the school you want most, you must put it first.

You do not risk your non-grammar option if you put it second (however popular it might be).

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/school ... n-form-caf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Etienne
kal12003

Post by kal12003 »

Thanks Etienne - You are a star! :)
kal12003

Kent - A few questions

Post by kal12003 »

Can anyone advise if I should include Dd's raw scores for appeal? I am trying to get the supporting statement prepared so I can tweek it and not feel too pressurised come the 2nd of March

Also how many pieces of supporting evidence would be deemed adequate to demonstrate academic ability, in addition to reports with levels on would you recommend a few pieces of work (2-3) that are marked at level 5?

One more sorry, DD failed as a result of not hitting the min 106 in English so I was going to supply evidence to show she is level 5. As she got over the min score in maths, reasoning and aggregate would you avoid supplying maths evidence too. Am conscious to try and keep all info relevant.

Thanks in advance :)
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

kal12003 wrote:Can anyone advise if I should include Dd's raw scores for appeal? I am trying to get the supporting statement prepared so I can tweek it and not feel too pressurised come the 2nd of March
This may not apply to Kent, but some admission authorities will include the raw scores in the case papers, either as a matter of routine, or because they have been requested by parents.
If it were essential information, it would always be routinely included.

As far as your own case is concerned, the question you have to address is - from your point of view, would including the raw scores serve any useful purpose?

In most cases the answer to that question is going to be 'No', so normally it's not a good idea to include them in your own submission.
Also how many pieces of supporting evidence would be deemed adequate to demonstrate academic ability, in addition to reports with levels on would you recommend a few pieces of work (2-3) that are marked at level 5?
There's no set rule for this, but personally I'd suggest no more than 2 or 3 per subject as you don't want to 'overload' the panel.

You could even justify 1 per subject if it's the most recent piece of work.
(You could always take some additional work to the hearing, but not produce it unless the panel seem to want more!)
One more sorry, DD failed as a result of not hitting the min 106 in English so I was going to supply evidence to show she is level 5. As she got over the min score in maths, reasoning and aggregate would you avoid supplying maths evidence too. Am conscious to try and keep all info relevant.
It is for you to decide what sort of case you want to put forward.

If she happens to be really good at maths, it would probably be a good idea to draw attention to her overall ability as well as to the alternative evidence for English.

Otherwise, if you want to concentrate on the English, I suggest you set out clearly what your approach is going to be, for example - "In the 11+ my daughter achieved an acceptable score in maths and reasoning, and also an acceptable aggregate score, so for the purposes of this appeal I'm going to focus on English, the only area where she fell short of the required mark."
Etienne
kal12003

Post by kal12003 »

Thank you Etienne for taking the time out to answer all my questions - much appreciated.
I will leave out the raw as really they do not serve a purpose as part of the appeal. We are going to opt for focussing on the English where DD fell short so I will crack on with starting the appeal letter over the next few days, Thanks again :)
capers123

Post by capers123 »

In previous years in Gloucestershire, we'd (the panel) been given the weighted scores & raw scores by the schools (as were the parents, of course). To be honest, though, the raw scores didn't count for much - we could see child A had scored more in the first paper than the second paper, whereas B had done it the other way round, but as we had neither the question paper, nor the formula by which the scores were weighted, we couldn't get anything useful out of it.

This year the Grammars in Gloucestershire have swapped to the CEM test. Until the paperwork arrives through our letterboxes (at the same time as the parents get it) I have no idea of what we're getting nor the format of it.
Capers
kal12003

Appeal question re decision making

Post by kal12003 »

We have Dd's appeal next Monday, appeals are being held over 6 days.

Do the pannel tend to make a decision at the end of each hearing as to whether the appeal is upheld or do they make a final decision on each case once all appeals have been held?

Thanks in advance