Good books for different age groups?

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

loobylou

Good books for different age groups?

Post by loobylou »

Hello everyone

Hope no one minds me suggesting this (and I hope this is the best place to post this) but I wondered if anyone would be interested in having a list of books that their children have really enjoyed reading / are enjoying reading at various ages? I have really struggled at times to find books so would appreciate other people's suggestions and hope other people might find it useful too... I couldn't find any similar posts but am happy to be pointed to them if I am just missing them! There was a good forum on Amazon once but it has been overtaken by authors trying to plug their work.
I have an 11 yo dd and a 10 yo ds, both of whom are inveterate readers and read constantly so I am always trying to keep up with providing them with books. I tend to be quite strict still with content (for example the books have to be reasonably well written - in my opinion :D - and be appropriate for their age). Obviously they have both devoured Harry Potter and all the really super popular books for children in the past...
Dd loves fantasy type books. Her favourite books over the last 18 months or so have been "The Mysterious Benedict Society" books by Trenton Lee Stewart, "The Wildwood Trilogy" by Colin Meloy, the "Inkheart" series by Cornelia Funke (she loved this series so much she asked for a German dictionary for her birthday so she could read them in the original :roll: ) and the "Mortal Engines" series by Philip Reeve. None of these seem very well known in the uk, talking to other friends, but we were advised by an amazing bookseller at Daunt books in Belsize Park who advised all of these in turn... She is planning to start the Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy next.
Ds is harder to please. He has loved the Alex Ryder books and the HIVE series. At the moment we are back to Harry Potter though as he can't find anything else he fancies at the moment. He has really struggled to read the books that dd loves (even though they are very unisex) because they are much more wordy than he likes and have less fast-paced action...
What books would your children recommend?
Lady P

Re: Good books for different age groups?

Post by Lady P »

I think this is an excellent idea!

One series which my daughter loved reading when she was 9/10 was the Wolves of Willoughby Chase series by Joan Aiken. Also the Roman Mysteries series (about 17 books!).
KB

Post by KB »

Yes, I remember Roman Mysteries being popular but can't remember what age.
Has your DS been through CS Lewis and Watership Down?
The Silver Sword was a great favourite - perhaps mine we a bit younger than 10 but think it would be OK .
Artemis Fowl (sp?) is a great fun series that's well written.
Redwall were also popular about that age if I remember correctly.
Sorry to be vague - many children over a long period :)
loobylou

Post by loobylou »

Ah yes my dd loved Artemis Fowl. She got the entire series out of the library one holiday and read them back to back. Ds humphed at the fairies even though they weren't proper fairies. Roman Mysteries is a good idea, we have those and they might suit my ds well. I've not come across Redwall - I'll look them up. That's why I think this might be a good idea because I am sure we must all have different titles we love and which mightg work well for someone else....
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

I think we've had a thread like this before? Try a search ...
Peridot

Post by Peridot »

Hard to search using the terms "reading" or "books".

You'll find one if you search Book suggestions for Tolkien fan

There are definitely more with lots of brilliant suggestions but they are hard to find.

More fans of the Trenton Lee Stewart trilogy here.

Has your DD read the Ingo books by Helen Dunmore? Very well written, grown-up fantasy children's series about a very believable undersea mermaid world.
Lady P

Post by Lady P »

Yes, my DD loved the Ingo books too.

These are some of the books she has read and really enjoyed recently (she's 10):
Coram Boy and the Wheel of Surya by Jamila Gavin
The Medici Seal, The Nostradamus Prophecy and Prisioner of the Inquisition by Theresa Breslin
Love, Aubrey by Suzanne La Fleur
Noughts & Crosses by Malorie Blackman
solimum

Post by solimum »

The Percy Jackson books are good fun (and handy for picking up a bit about Greek mythology!) for that age group

The Redwall books were popular amongst mainly the boys when I helped at a Junior school library - a fantasy land involving talking animal characters, with lots of battles, castles etc.

Every child (and adult!) should read The Phantom Tolbooth (Norman Juster)
Peridot

Post by Peridot »

Also look at "Sharing our reading list" on the English forum.
loobylou

Post by loobylou »

Thanks - I had searched quite hard but struggled to find any other threads. I'll look up the English forum though. Quite a few I haven't come across before in your lists - will do some looking later, thank you. There look to be loads of books in the Redwall series which is always good....
Yes mine liked Percy Jackson too. My dd was put off the Ingo books by the incredibly girly cover. It's a shame if they were good.
Dd also has loved the Penderwicks series as well as the Hunger GAmes and the Gregor series by Suzanne Collins.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now