NC Levels - still being used?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
MrsGrylls

NC Levels - still being used?

Post by MrsGrylls »

Hi All

I'm hoping someone might be able to help me with this.

Having read the selection reviews thread and seeing the apparent importance of Level 5s at the end of Year 5 (or certainly at the point of submitting the selection review) does anyone know how the selection review criteria might change from this year onwards with the new national curriculum?

As I understand it schools aren't supposed to be still using the old NC levels but I'm not sure what they've been replaced with. My DDs school is still using them but says the criteria to be achieved for each level are now more challenging so that children may not move through the levels as quickly as they might have done in the past. So, for example, a 4b last year might not be a 4b this year or, more likely I guess, a child might not have moved a sub-level yet because they haven't yet mastered the new criteria for a 4b. I don't understand how the school can say this if the "old" NC levels are no longer being used :?

Does that make sense or have I misinterpreted the changes to the curriculum and measurement of progress? Very happy to be corrected :)

Thank you
Guest55

Re: NC Levels - still being used?

Post by Guest55 »

Most Bucks schools are still using levels as no 'official' guidance has been issued and they prefer to use something they, and parents, understand.

The levels haven't changed so I don't unerstand why progression would be slower; in fact it should accelerate as topics have tended to move down.
MrsGrylls

Post by MrsGrylls »

Guest55 wrote: The levels haven't changed so I don't unerstand why progression would be slower; in fact it should accelerate as topics have tended to move down
Thanks Guest55. Please can you explain what do you mean when you say "topics have tended to move down"?

I haven't yet had my DDs parents evening due to work commitments this week but several other parents of Year 5 children have said that their DC haven't made any recorded progress in levels so far this year (ie their DC are still at the same levels as end of Year 4 in all or most subjects) and all of them have been told that the reason is that the criteria for the levels are now more demanding.

I was hoping to prepare myself in case my DD is in the same boat :)
JamesDean

Post by JamesDean »

Guest55 wrote:Most Bucks schools are still using levels as no 'official' guidance has been issued and they prefer to use something they, and parents, understand.
They will get short shrift from Ofsted if they aren't at least working towards a new system by Easter. The guidance is clear, levels are not to be used any more - any school ignoring this is on very dodgy ground.

However, your school seems to be on top of this though, MrsG, and are right that the criteria have changed and are more challenging for children in the current Yr 5 and below. When previously a child in Yr 6 may have acheived a level 5 and be deemed to be working 'above expectations', the same child doing the same work may now will 'only' be acheiving expectations and not exceding them!

It's a nightmare, and as you say, how this will pan out in the future when progress has to be compared and proved, is anyone's guess ... Ho hum - as long as the politicians are happy, eh?

JD
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

They will get short shrift from Ofsted if they aren't at least working towards a new system by Easter
The Framework doesn't say that and 'working towards a new system' doesn't mean you can't use levels.

In maths some Year 5 objectives are now in Year 4 - that's what I mean about topics being moved down. I repeat, NC levels have NOT changed - what is expected in year group has - so in 'level' terms, there should be acceleration.
MrsGrylls

Post by MrsGrylls »

Thanks James Dean

That's really interesting and a bit concerning :)

So it sounds like the question I need to be asking is how the school is going to be tracking progress in the coming months and how they plan to support children who may need to go through the selection review process in the Autumn with evidence of attainment?
MrsGrylls

Post by MrsGrylls »

Guest55 wrote:

In maths some Year 5 objectives are now in Year 4 - that's what I mean about topics being moved down. I repeat, NC levels have NOT changed - what is expected in year group has - so in 'level' terms, there should be acceleration.
So if my DD was say a 4b in writing at the end of Year 4 is there any reason from a process/system point of view why she shouldn't be able to make the same progress that the school has traditionally expected which is 2 sublevels per year ie a 5c by the end of Year 5.
JamesDean

Post by JamesDean »

MrsGrylls wrote:Thanks James Dean
That's really interesting and a bit concerning :)
So it sounds like the question I need to be asking is how the school is going to be tracking progress in the coming months and how they plan to support children who may need to go through the selection review process in the Autumn with evidence of attainment?
Absolutely, that's exactly what you should do :)

JD
gowest

Post by gowest »

MrsGrylls wrote: So if my DD was say a 4b in writing at the end of Year 4 is there any reason from a process/system point of view why she shouldn't be able to make the same progress that the school has traditionally expected which is 2 sublevels per year ie a 5c by the end of Year 5.
In our recent parent-teacher meeting for our Y5 DC, the teacher said they expected the children to make 1 sub-level's progress in Y5.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

In our recent parent-teacher meeting for our Y5 DC, the teacher said they expected the children to make 1 sub-level's progress in Y5.
Expected progress is 1.5 sub levels so less than that is a concern ... schools aim for two knwing that 30% of pupils nationally make more than expected progress.