KGS versus Hampton for shy boy

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
dumbdad

KGS versus Hampton for shy boy

Post by dumbdad »

DS has offers from Hampton, KGS and St G, one a scholarship. He is exceptionally shy and at a small state primary. Bright, not sporty at all. Waiting on Tiffin, which is a runner.

Most important for us is that he develops into happy, confident fellow, and would be nice to have some good teaching as well, of course.

Any views from parents with DCs at these schools, particularly on Hampton versus KGS?
tiffinboys

Re: KGS versus Hampton for shy boy

Post by tiffinboys »

I would suggest to visit these schools again and discuss your concerns with Head or Dy Head. Which school does your DS limes most?
dumbdad

Post by dumbdad »

Thanks for the replies. We are likely to go to see both again and will speak to staff.

Our feeling is Hampton may be the more academic of the two but would probably suit better a more confident boy. We like the space there, compared to KGS, and the array of clubs and activities - which he would like - is amazing.

We are drawn to the co-ed, and possibly gentler, aspect of KGS. It's strong maths, which DS likes (so is Hampton) and also had a decent clutch of clubs. And a little smaller.

We liked Reeds, too, though too expensive for us and too far (we wouldn't have seen much of DS who would be last stop on long bus ride).

Instinctively, probably leaning towards KGS (or Tiffin) but wishing there was a bit more space. DS not into team sports but loves outdoors, climbing etc.

DS himself, admirably, doesn't seem to care. Asked what he liked most, he said the toilets at Tiffin. Guess that will clinch it. :)
mjuly

Post by mjuly »

I am in a similar position with sociable but not sporty son.He has guaranteed KGS but waiting Tiffin.I think KGS will suit him better but wonder if Tiffin will be too demanding for him in terms of academia although no fees will be very handy.I know this has been covered in other threads but would like to hear views of current parents.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now