Francis Holland Regents Park Waiting List

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Elena123

Francis Holland Regents Park Waiting List

Post by Elena123 »

We received a letter from FHS Regents Park yesterday saying that our daughter is on the waiting list for the school and that they hope to have some positive news for us soon. I am not quite sure what to make of this, we are delighted that she hasn't been turned down straight away and it was good to be able to tell her that she has done really well ( she currently attends a state primary and prepared fo the tests with our help and past papers) however does anyone know how long this list might be and if there is any reason to hope she might get a place? Also if she does get a place from the waiting list does that mean she might struggle once there? We are also waiting to hear from Forest this week, we really like Forest but obviously FHS achieves better results and is further up the league tables. Many thanks!
NLMum27

Re: Francis Holland Regents Park Waiting List

Post by NLMum27 »

Hi there,
I don't have insight, but I do know from teacher friends that it really helps your child to move up the list if you call and express how keen you are for a place. I believe these waiting lists are a bit more fluid than state school ones and letting them know that you will definitely accept if offered a place really helps.
Elena123

Post by Elena123 »

Thank you NLMum that's great advice I wasn't sure if calling would be helpful or if It would be seen as badgering. I really like the school and will call first thing on Monday.
Watermelon

Post by Watermelon »

My DS came off the QE waiting list and is in top set for four of his GCSE subjects - coming off the waiting list really doesn't make any difference at all. It's a matter of a mark or two usually, but they have to draw the line somewhere.

Ironically, we are in the same position with DD this time, on waiting list for 1st choice school and two others offers in the bag. It's rather frustrating!

Hang on in there, expect the worst but hope for the best!

Crossing everything for you :D
Elena123

Post by Elena123 »

Thanks for the words of encouragement Watermelon it's such a stressful time and none of my DD's classmates or their parents are going through it as they have opted for our local school. I would be over the moon if she got a place at FHS but I do want her to feel confident and continue to love learning I am so proud that she has managed to get this far and I am secretly hoping that she is not too far down the list for a place if things start moving. I will call them tomorrow Just to let them know that we are keen.
KB

Post by KB »

Just to reinforce the above - if she is offered a place from the waiting list she shouldn't feel 'second class'. As long as she is focussed and works hard there is no reason why she shouldn't thrive. If she is coming from a state school she may have had less "preparation' than some and once she is at the school she may leap frog other girls.

Do also remember though that league tables don't tell the full story and if a school has a more academic intake then they should be getting better results. If your daughter ends up at your 2nd choice school there is no reason why her results can't be just as good as if she went to the 'higher performing' school.
Watermelon

Post by Watermelon »

Elena123, did you manage to speak to the school?
Fingers crossed :D
Eastlondonmum

Post by Eastlondonmum »

Hi Elena. We are in a similar situation. We have an offer from Forest but on waiting list for FH Regent Park. Have you made up your mind yet? Finding it very difficult.
Anyone with thoughts on these two schools?
SleepyHead

Post by SleepyHead »

With acceptances due in tomorrow waiting lists should start to move. Good luck
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now