NLCS vs Henreiita Barnet

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

aman

NLCS vs Henreiita Barnet

Post by aman »

Know the obvious difference of feepaying vs nonfeepaying. Sure people have decided earlier on these offers, and some might be thinking this year. It would be good to get insights.
ConcernedDad

Re: NLCS vs Henreiita Barnet

Post by ConcernedDad »

There are lots of threads on this popular topic.

Not sure whether he is still active. There is a member called BarenetDad who can probably give one of the best advices on this issue. Maybe you can try to send him a pm.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

Indeed! He turned down NCLS for HBS for dd1 and then took the place for dd2. So he is in a really great position to compare the two schools. DG
Jean.Brodie

Re: NLCS vs Henreitta Barnett

Post by Jean.Brodie »

Hi aman! Although this consideration does come up every year for many, the family circumstances vary considerably. The school's may be developing as well as the years go by.

Barnetdad's family chose HBS for DD1; for DD2, perhaps, there was no HBS offer, the choice being between NLCS, DAO and possibly one other. I hope I recall this accurately from those old posts. I think both girls turned down DAO.

We are now in our fifth year (Year 11) at HBS. We chose HBS over NLCS.

We know many HBS girls in this one year alone who chose HBS over NLCS. (There are also many others who chose HBS over Habs Girls, City Girls and St Paul's Girls, amongst other private schools.) If you speak to them, you will find that there is something about HBS which the families and the girls just love. This is especially noticeable in those families with other daughters at leading private schools. It's also quite a thing to turn down one or more of those schools and join HBS. It gives the girls additional confidence and an immediate appreciation of the quality of their peer group, something which swells over the years as they see one another's strengths both within the classroom and without, socially, in extra curricular activities and on school trips.

There is also a group of girls who applied to only state schools, mainly because their families knew they would never be able to afford anything else. This group includes some truly astonishing girls, even by HBS standards.

NLCS is a fine school of its type, based on mainly girls from well to do families and a large budget per pupil in the context of a large school. HBS is a remarkable school, made up principally of girls from ordinary families and based on the small budget of a small state school.
shootmenow

Post by shootmenow »

This discussion is somewhat academic until you know that you have both offers to chose from.
Parents decide between the two for many reasons. Financial being the biggest but not the only reason. If the OP is just trying to get their thinking straight to make a quick decision on March the 2nd, then I think that is really thoughtful as there will be many desperate for a place at both. Three in DD2's yr at NLCS turned down HB places. The traffic flows both ways.
HB is a fantastic school for the right girl and so is NLCS. DD2's best friend is at HB so I can make some observations. The pace of lessons will be equally fast and the content is broadly similar.
HB does an amazing amount with less lavish facilities but if your DD is wants a swimming pool and games facilities, it won't be at HB. Is this important to you? What about science labs? Library facilities?
NLCS has really amazing pastoral care. Girls who are having problems of any nature are well supported. BF's family haven't found this to be the case at HB at times. I've experienced other indie schools with less than stellar pastoral care so I don't think this is deficiency in the state system. NLCS is just really on the ball about sorting out friendship issues, academic wobbles, mental health worries etc.There will be some at HB who have been tutored for years to pass the exam but can't cope when they get there. NLCS sniffs this out at interview.
Think about curriculum. HB is a state school and must do what the state tells them. NLCS constantly evolves to offer what they feel is the most academically rigorous education. That has meant swapping most GCSEs for IGCSEs (much more accurate marking and flexibility in the syllabus) and getting rid of GCSE Eng Lit entirely because it was too easy (AS done over 2 yrs instead). They also offer IB or A Level/PreU. Because A Levels have been so politicised, most subjects are now PreU which is much more challenging. Changes are well managed, well reasoned and introduced clearly.
Both schools do very well as they only take super bright girls but I really like the value added of great communication that NLCS gives. Emails are answered very quickly and I've never felt like I was being a bother for raising something with the teachers.
The social mix is only slightly different. You'd be surprised at how many receive bursaries/ have grandparents paying/live in tiny flats to pay the fees at NLCS. There are a fair few at HB who went to indie preps and live in big houses. Both are ethnically mixed- hurrah!
You can always PM with any questions.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

HB is a state school and must do what the state tells them
Sorry that is just wrong! It is an Academy and does not need to follow the National Curriculum.

Other points are also incorrect about English - iGCSE English is known to be easier ... not harder.

Please, OP, look for yourself and don't take every post as 'fact' - you need unbiased views.
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

Duffer's guide to NLCS or HBS :wink:

1. Can you afford private school fees and other costs? if yes, go to Q2. If no, choose HBS.
2. Which school your DD liked most? Choose that one. If no preference, go to Q3.
3. What does your DD want from school?
3a) Extention learning/external Lectures: Most likely, NLCS
3b) Music? Both schools have excellent facilities. NLCS may have slight edge.
3c) Drama? Both schools are outstanding.
3d) More sports/swimming? Choose NLCS.
3e) IB/PreU options? NLCS
3f) Nicely sounding name? HBS ( :wink: )
3g) Brand value? Both brands have great value. NLCS may have slight edge.

Still confused? As pointed out by CD and DG, barnetdad has a child each in these schools. Follow his posts. http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... 5&sr=posts" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NLMum27

Post by NLMum27 »

Guest55 wrote:

Please, OP, look for yourself and don't take every post as 'fact' - you need unbiased views.
But also bear in mind that some posters have a bias against private education. To quote previous posts of yours Guest55:

"Private schools are doing far more damage - the 'elite' remove their children from the state system and, particularly politicians, make decisions without knowledge. Private schools are maintaining the class system which allows people with the 'right contacts' to get into jobs they are not the best qualified for - the 'old boy' network.

When everyone has to attend a state school there will suddenly be more resources and politicians might pay attention to people like Amber who are knowledgeable."

and:

" - I do have wide evidence of the damage private schools do ..."

Those are direct quotes of yours, suggesting that you have a strong bias against the private system.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Yes I do have strong views but 'shootmenow' has posted inaccuracies - they need to be challenged. I don't pretend otherwise ... some posters have strong biases against state schools, don't they?

I suggest OP decides for themselves and not rely on anyone else and that includes me.

shootmenow

Post by shootmenow »

Guest55 wrote:
HB is a state school and must do what the state tells them
Sorry that is just wrong! It is an Academy and does not need to follow the National Curriculum.

Other points are also incorrect about English - iGCSE English is known to be easier ... not harder.

IGCSE English offers a range of books that may be studied. Schools choose which ones. Even with this latitude, NLCS decided it wasn't challenging enough and opted for the AS. Re-read my post. And, BTW, the perception that IGCSE is easier comes from the lower grade boundary (in some boards)for the C grade which some state schools used for weaker candidates. The A/A* boundary is much higher than GCSE. HB was placed highly in this year's league tables because they have stayed within gov't mandated qualifications as opposed to the top indies who opted out and scored 0%.

HB does broadly follow the NC but goes well beyond. That said, DD2's BF's mum has had to query some of the content in non-core subjects because certain elements seemed designed for the lowest common denominator and were just poorly thought out bits of time consuming busy work.

Guest55, the OP is asking for biased views- parents who have DDs at the schools.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now