10 Plus City boys offers are out today

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Daogroupie

10 Plus City boys offers are out today

Post by Daogroupie »

I know of a scholarship offer for 10 plus City boys today. Anyone else get good news today? DG
needadrink

Re: 10 Plus City boys offers are out today

Post by needadrink »

Reserve list for my DS... Hopeless as all indicates that reserve lists don't move at 10+
CPM1771

Post by CPM1771 »

That's such a shame needadrink. The school should give you feedback, but likelihood is that he will have done well in the exam and then the rest is about trying to find the boys who they think are mature enough to move at 10. It's so hard for the boys and obviously very arbitrary. I know of a boy who was top in reasoning, but didn't get in on that basis. I appreciate that doesn't help, but it is important for DS to know how well he did and that at this stage all the teachers are trying to do is judge whether he is ready for the big move yet. You might also find that they have under offered this year because they are more concerned about too many acceptances. Find out where he is on the wait list and they may also tell you how many boys have to decline before he gets a place. I do know boys who have just missed at 10+ who have got in at 11. Fingers crossed the list moves.
needadrink

Post by needadrink »

Thank you CPM. I called yesterday and was given no clue. So I don't know how many offers they did and how is he positioned in the waiting list( even I asked). He is a summer boy, so could be something related with maturity .
Now all we have to do is wait and ... Pray
I somehow wanted to understand ( even he didn't tell explicitly) that this year they haven't overoffered as much as previous.
But he was speaking of 42 places instead of 45 ...
Please any readers from 10+ , if anyone is about to decline an offer, could I kindly ask you to do it as soon as possible? If the list starts moving , we could still may have a chance.
CPM1771

Post by CPM1771 »

They don't seem to be doing a good job on the communication front this year for some reason. I think they could do well to remember that they are dealing with children here (and anxious parents !) who will naturally want to understand the basis of any decision, especially following interviews. Hopefully you will be able to get better information once the dust settles and they have finished the 11+ and 13+ process (I imagine they are hyper busy.) You may be better sending an e-mail asking for feedback when they are able to provide it. Whilst I am firmly of the view that what will be will be, it takes a long time for any of us to realise the positive of disappointing situations and a bit of information in the meantime helps with the whole reconciliation of it all.

I for one feel so much less positive with our DS this time round. Despite his abilities, I think the bar is so ridiculously high now that educating a child in London, even when shelling out many thousands of pounds, is becoming incredibly difficult.
needadrink

Post by needadrink »

The change of registrars could be involved with this lack of information. We are now heading to the airport to forget about 10+ until Sunday.
I hope you are lucky with DS2. Didn't he sit 10+ last year? If I remember well DS1 was already at City ? I think that might help ( in same performing boys of course)
I'm glad that DS made it to the interview and he didn't prepare enough( just a fee tests during Christmas) , but I agree wih you that each year London day Schools are becoming more and more hard to get in. In my DS's prep a year 6 friend who's one of the brightest in class hasn't received still any firm offer ( he is also waiting for City this Friday) He has applied to the 5 very tops, one coed included) I don't think my DS is that bright, and he hasn't been tutored, that's why we feel he's done really well.

I wish you best of luck with DS2 on Friday! Please keep us updated!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now