Rkum - appeal query Bucks

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
rkum

Rkum - appeal query Bucks

Post by rkum »

Hi, I'm a new comer to the forum, and apologies if I have hijacked your thread.
Just wanted some advice.
My DD did not qualify and we did not submit a selection review because her score was 101.
End of Year 5 SATS Reading L5, Writing 4c and Maths 5B
However, we now feel we should have done.
Is it too late ?
We didn't list any Grammar Schools on our CAF.
Any help appreciated
hermanmunster

Re: Rkum - appeal query Bucks

Post by hermanmunster »

Hi Rkum

Have moved your post to a new thread as likely to get lost where it was.

Herman
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Welcome! :D

No reviews were successful last year with a score of 101. That's not to say it's impossible, but I think you would have needed some exceptional circumstances, and ideally a higher level than 4c for Writing.

You could submit an appeal to be heard in the summer term, but first of all you would have to ask Admissions if they will change your CAF preferences so that one or more grammar schools are included. They may ask you to wait until after the first round of allocations.
(Any new preferences can't be considered until a later round of allocations, but as your daughter isn't qualified, that's not an issue.)

Not having been to review puts you in a better position for an appeal - but whether or not it's worth appealing depends on how good an academic case you can put forward:
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... cation#b11" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If the grammar school is oversubscribed, you will also need reasons for wanting a place at the school in question:
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... -school#c2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Etienne
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Which GS would you be interested in?

If it's undersubscribed on March 2nd then at least you haven't got to fight over-subscription as well as everything else.
rkum

Post by rkum »

Thank you so much for your advice Etienne, I know 101 is not a great result and I think she had a bad day.
I just feel that I have let her down and need to give this a shot.
I will speak to Bucks CC to find out if they are willing to let me make changes.
(I spoke to them this morning before I posted my message and they gave me the impression that I could no longer take any action)
Guest55, I would be interested in DCGS, BHigh, Burhham or Chesham. I know the first two are a long shot !
Many thanks
MamaBear

Post by MamaBear »

Good luck rkum.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

DCHS will be full so think carefully how many GS to put down.

Put down your catchment GS and look at the allocation profiles ....
rkum

Post by rkum »

Thanks for your wishes MamaBear.
Bucks cc much more helpful today and said I could make changes by sending them email.
We have missed 1st round of allocations though.
I have asked them for some stats for the schools before I make changes, thanks for your advice on that Guest55.
Thanks for taking the time to give feedback.
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

rkum wrote:I have asked them for some stats for the schools before I make changes
What stats are you after? I can probably help ...
rkum

Post by rkum »

Thanks very much Sally-Anne.
I wanted to find out what the Lowest qualifying mark (LQM) was for DCHS, BHS, Chesham and Burnham was last year.
Nearest Grammar school to us is BHS.
Bucks cc told me that all qualified applicants that applied, got into BHS and Chesham regardless of distance by end of allocation rounds.
Burnham accepted up to 10.45miles and DCHS only 6.3miles. They could not give me the LQM accepted over the phone.

As advised by Guest55 earlier, I want to identify the most likely 'undersubscribed' school.
If there are any stats you can point me to that would be helpful.
Many thanks
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now