School Oversubscription Criteria

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
bucksdad8623

School Oversubscription Criteria

Post by bucksdad8623 »

My DS sat the late entry test a few weeks ago for JHGS.
We haven’t yet got the results so I’m hoping for a good outcome, but not expecting one.

We live just outside of catchment (less than ½ mile) and very close to the school bus stop. The oversubscription criteria for JHGS means where he to be within catchment he would be offered a place with a score of 121, outside of catchment it’s down to score ranking. There is no allowance for distance to the school.

There are large parts of Wycombe in which the catchment for both RGS and JHGS overlap, unfortunately we live just outside on this overlap area and so are in catchment for RGS only.
If I’d been applying for a place for my daughter she would be in the catchment area for BHS and WHS, WHS is adjacent to JHGS.

I understand each school can set its own over subscription criteria and catchment area.
Are there guidelines which the school must follow to ensure fair access which also doesn’t discriminate on the basis of gender?
If there are any guidelines, can anyone offer advice for how to challenge the school. Or what else I should do for that matter.
If my DS doesn’t pass or does really well, then this is irrelevant anyway, it’s that middle ground I’m trying to plan for.
Marylou

Re: School Oversubscription Criteria

Post by Marylou »

Unless there has been a major change of which I'm unaware, score ranking should have nothing to do with it! According to the school's own oversubscription policy, the deciding factor in your case should be distance (after siblings and social/medical needs etc.)

http://upload.reactcdn.co.uk/johnhampde ... s_2015.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Who advised you that score is relevant? That system hasn't been used in Buckinghamshire for over ten years.

Good luck with the test results! :)

Edited to add.....might have been a bit hasty...does anyone know if late-entry tests etc. are handled differently for oversubscription purposes? :?
Marylou
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

http://upload.reactcdn.co.uk/johnhampde ... s_2015.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

See section 3.4 ....
bucksdad8623

Post by bucksdad8623 »

Hi Marylou,
Thanks for taking the time to read my rambles.
I initially thought the same way till I read section 3.4 which deals with ‘In Year Procedure’ for years 8 to 10.
Third priority is catchment, fourth is score unfortunately. No reference to distance.
Am I missing something?
Marylou

Post by Marylou »

Ah - sorry, that explains it - when you said "late entry" I (and probably Guest55) assumed you meant for Y7! Yes, that does seem to be the policy for years 8-10. This oversubscription policy does seem strange though, as it is out of kilter with the school's policy for Y7 admissions.

You would of course still be entitled to appeal if your son qualifies but is refused a place. Whilst any such appeal would have to focus on the suitability of the school for the child, and bearing in mind that the schools themselves are responsible for setting their admission policies, appeal panels have been known to be sympathetic to apparent unfairness or inconsistency in oversubscription arrangements (if the child were joining Y7 instead of Y8, if the child were female, etc...pointed out as casually as possible, of course!)
Marylou
bucksdad8623

Post by bucksdad8623 »

It might come to an appeal, I did it last year for the 11+ so I’m almost used to it.
It would be nice to be able to argue the school’s entry rules aren’t fair or consistent.