coaching for singing, SW Herts

Eleven Plus (11+) in South West Hertfordshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

felinefrenzi

coaching for singing, SW Herts

Post by felinefrenzi »

Hi all,

I understand that some of the SW Herts schools accept the singing voice as alternative to an instrument for the music test. My DC is pretty good and wonder if this might be something to try, or if they have to be exceptional to stand a chance. I heard while back that there are tutors in the Watford area who coach singing got the tests. Advice please.
3b1g

Re: coaching for singing, SW Herts

Post by 3b1g »

My son managed to get 33/45 in the audition with no singing training at all. He has a reasonable treble voice, but had not had any singing lessons, and left the school choir in Year 3 after one term. They are looking for potential and musicality, not technique.

The tricky bit is scoring high enough in the listening test to be called back for an audition in the first place.
Cutting42

Post by Cutting42 »

3b1g is on the button with this.

Passing the listening test is the hurdle that many high achieving Grade 5 musicians have fallen at whereas DC with no training get through. Its all about innate ability not training.

Re the singing a friends DD had no training at all, decided on the day to sing (nice voice and can hold a tune) rather than play piano (only grade 2) and got a place at WGGS don't know the score but must have been decent.
IHOP

Post by IHOP »

http://tonometric.com/adaptivepitch/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My DD practised the pitch element of the aptitude test using these. I *think* she would have been OK anyway, but, as with so many of these tests, they fire out at great speed and that's not something she'd ever had to do before.

I also played some 2, 3 and 4 part chords on the piano (the texture part). She found this part the most challenging (and I wasn't sure how close together the notes would be).

Once through this part, singing pleasantly and in tune may well be enough to secure high enough marks for entry.

All the best.
IHOP

Post by IHOP »

PS One of my daughter's new friends sang her way to her place at SCD :o