12 plus- to take or not to take

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Yum mum

12 plus- to take or not to take

Post by Yum mum »

My daughter did not pass or get through appeal of 11 plus this year. Her verbal score was low and during practise she was only managing to obtain about a third of the necessary marks, but we hoped that her maths and NVR strengths would allow her to score enough to pass. With going through the process of trying to get her dyslexia recognised as being a hindrance in a test like the 11 plus, especially the new tests we are unsure whether the 12 plus is advisable seeing that it seems only to test VR. We were informed from appeal panel that our evidence was insufficient to support the low VR score, and we were foolish not providing a Dyslexic Assessment by the ED Psychologist, but at the time we understood her primary school were to support this via Bucks CC and it did not materialise.
Has anyone any views on the scenario of my daughter taking the 12 plus, her failing and an appeal made with an ED Pych report of her dyslexia ?
Just to add that her dyslexia is mild and she is predicted 2- 3 level 5's in Maths, reading and writing. Her Head considers her suitable for Grammar school and even though my daughter is disappointed she is happy to attend none selective school.
Is it worth another go?
:? Thx
pinkrabbit38

Re: 12 plus- to take or not to take

Post by pinkrabbit38 »

Yum mum wrote:My daughter did not pass or get through appeal of 11 plus this year. Her verbal score was low and during practise she was only managing to obtain about a third of the necessary marks, but we hoped that her maths and NVR strengths would allow her to score enough to pass. With going through the process of trying to get her dyslexia recognised as being a hindrance in a test like the 11 plus, especially the new tests we are unsure whether the 12 plus is advisable seeing that it seems only to test VR. We were informed from appeal panel that our evidence was insufficient to support the low VR score, and we were foolish not providing a Dyslexic Assessment by the ED Psychologist, but at the time we understood her primary school were to support this via Bucks CC and it did not materialise.
Has anyone any views on the scenario of my daughter taking the 12 plus, her failing and an appeal made with an ED Pych report of her dyslexia ?
Just to add that her dyslexia is mild and she is predicted 2- 3 level 5's in Maths, reading and writing. Her Head considers her suitable for Grammar school and even though my daughter is disappointed she is happy to attend none selective school.
Is it worth another go?
Personally I would just let it go and concentrate on her getting the most out of the none selective school.
Guest55

Re: 12 plus- to take or not to take

Post by Guest55 »

Yum mum wrote:My daughter did not pass or get through appeal of 11 plus this year. Her verbal score was low and during practise she was only managing to obtain about a third of the necessary marks, but we hoped that her maths and NVR strengths would allow her to score enough to pass. With going through the process of trying to get her dyslexia recognised as being a hindrance in a test like the 11 plus, especially the new tests we are unsure whether the 12 plus is advisable seeing that it seems only to test VR. We were informed from appeal panel that our evidence was insufficient to support the low VR score, and we were foolish not providing a Dyslexic Assessment by the ED Psychologist, but at the time we understood her primary school were to support this via Bucks CC and it did not materialise.
Is it worth another go?
If this is Bucks then the 12+ varies and some schools use CEM ...

I would suggest you register her (when the process opens) and then decide whether to go ahead after you see how term one goes. Registration does not mean you have to go ahead with testing ...
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now