Movement on waiting lists?

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

lolasmum

Movement on waiting lists?

Post by lolasmum »

Just wondering if anyone has yet been offered a place having been on a waiting list (girls' schools) or if the schools will do so this week now that half term has been and gone??
'Waiting' is proving no fun!
startingtopanic

Re: Movement on waiting lists?

Post by startingtopanic »

I think that it is too early at the moment. People are holding on to their offers, many perhaps waiting for the state allocations. Our letter said that there could be movement up until late summer!

I will call the registrar again later this week to let her know how keen we are on the school, I don't want to annoy her on her first day back :)

Not a great situation as after the state allocations we have 2 days to pay the deposit at the school where we have a definite place.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Most movement comes when the state allocations are out and people have to pay deposits - though movement can happen a lot later on.

2 days to decide doesn't seem very much but a while back the indies were wanting to know by the end of February and that caused a lot of grief - eventually they shifted the dates so that people could have properly thought out decisions. Even then a friend was heavily hassled to accept or decline a small scholarship before the NAD - she stood her ground and they accepted that she wanted to wait until she knew about the other schools
startingtopanic

I have also been told that there is very little movement anyway, at least at the school that we want :(
I am not too hopeful but I guess if it is a school that we really want it is worth to try at least
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

I think the problem with waiting lists is that can be different things at each school. Some over offer +++ and don't really need to go to the waiting list and others start on it very soon. can only suggest you keep in touch with the school
startingtopanic

Thanks for your advice hermanmunster and good luck to everyone on waiting lists.

I was really hoping it would all be over by now....
lolasmum

Post by lolasmum »

Thanks startingtopanic and hermanmunster, that's reassuring.
Fingers crossed for everyone who's waiting for a wait list place...
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now