Ipswich Independent vs. ColCHS, headache-inducing dilemma

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
hoptoit

Ipswich Independent vs. ColCHS, headache-inducing dilemma

Post by hoptoit »

Hello everyone

First post here and hoping to garner some advice.

Just a quick overview of our dilemma: our eldest daughter scored very well in her 11+ and we are confident that she'll get into Colchester grammar school, however we've also put her through the admission process to the Ipswich School and Woodbridge School, where she's done very well and both schools offered her scholarships (with one of them she's got both music and academic scholarships which means our fees would be minuscule). With the acceptance deadline upon us we are both not sure what do and which way to go: Ipswich/Woodbridge vs.ColCHS. The thing is that we both of us (my husband and I) are immigrants and even though we've settled here a while back now and our kids were all born here, we haven't ourselves been through the educational process in this country which makes such decisions a lot more difficult for us. She is a very musical girls and dedicates a lot of her time to music but at the same time she loves maths and sciences too. We also have another daughter coming up for 11+ in a couple of years so thinking ahead.

Perhaps someone in similar situation or having had the same experience could share their opinions, it would be greatly appreciated.
KB

Re: Ipswich Independent vs. ColCHS, headache-inducing dilemm

Post by KB »

Could you confirm if you are talking about The Ipswich School or Ipswich High School?

A few questions that might be helpful for you to think through -
Where are you located? Will it make a difference to travel time/ ability to participate in extra curricular activities?

The financial impact of the fees on your family - would you be able to pay for yoyyr second child to go to Independent school as well ( possibly without scholarships) . Would the money be better spent 'topping up' state provision with extras or saving towards university fees?

I am out of date but in the past there was little focus on music or competitive sports to a high level at ColCHS. If this were still the case could you make up the 'shortfall' with eg Saturday music activities.

If the Independent options are mixed gender do you feel this would suit your daughter better? Sometimes this can be an advantage if she would otherwise have little opportunity of experiencing boys outside of school but some people would rather their daughter avoid the distraction within school.

If your option is The Ipswich school then it would suit her very well in terms of offering a very high standard of music provision within school but most of the practices are after school so would she be able to get home without the school bus?

It was many years ago now but in a similar situation we went with the Indie option because DD loved the school and didn't like the ethos of the GS at the time. The former seemed interested in her and how the school would suit her interests and strengths while the latter made her feel she was lucky to be offered a place and they weren't the slightest bit interested in her. Things may well have changed though.
Minesatea

Post by Minesatea »

Have sent you a pm. :D
hoptoit

Post by hoptoit »

It is The Ipswich School, the one in the Ipswich town centre.

There is a lot to consider. I have to say that we are thinking less of practicalities and more of what side will give her the best education and make the best of what she's got. From just our observations it seems that independents are great for all the "value-added" extra-curriculum activities which is great and undeniably a major draw for us. And yet, recently I had a quick chat with my not quite neighbour whose daughter is currently at Ipswich High School for Girls and he is desperate for her to get into ColCHS as "she is not being stretched to her full potential". I understand that its all very subjective. They are hoping for a place at ColCHS but her score is below the red zone. Another interesting comment that I latched onto, it came from a much respected individual whose kids go to the Ipswich School and the eldest is now applying to join the 6th form at Colchester Grammar School. Apparently amongst Ipswich School would'be 6th formers, its considered very prestigious to get into the 6th form at Colchester as its seen as one step closer to Oxbridge. I am just quoting here.... I was very surprised....
Minesatea

Post by Minesatea »

Many children apply to CRGS sixth form because of its reputation and oxbridge record including girls from ColCHS, but I would not let that sway your decision. Many children change schools for sixth form. ColCHS actually generally has better GCSE results than the boys school and in my experience better pastoral care and support.
I think you need to choose the school you think will be best for your daughter at age 11. The practicalities are very important, if she is exhausted from the travelling she will not do well in any school.
ipswichmum

Post by ipswichmum »

We had a similar dilemma with our DS, being offered CRGS and Ipswich School (with a big scholarship). Our son chose the latter, primarily due to the daily journey. It is a short journey to Ipswich but 1 plus hour bus ride to Colchester; a daunting prospect for a son who suffers travel sickness. His decision was spot on. He is stretched and inspired, not only in the subjects he excels at (Maths and Science), but also subjects he is less confident at (like Art).

The shorter journey allows him time to do homework and extension; as well as attending after school clubs (or just downtime)

The standard of music at Ipswich is amazing; and with the new purpose building can only get better and better.

My husband liked the idea of mixed gender schooling better than single sex; and DS gets on well with the girls in his year.

I do think the practical issues like journey (particularly on a wet winters night) are key to success.
Minesatea

Post by Minesatea »

Really pleased to hear your DS is getting on well at The Ipswich school ipswichmum. It is a perferred option for me for my youngest, although he will unfortunately have a bit longer journey.
KB

Post by KB »

I think you need to stay focussed on the particular schools you are choosing between rather than being other Indies or GS into the equation.
I do not know about Woodbridge but as far as Ipswich is concerned there will indeed be less very academic pupils than at ColCHS just because it is not super selective. However there will be a number of very academic pupils in each year, enough for them to bounce off each other. I am not aware of any behavioural issues in class that make it difficult for pupils to focus and work hard.

I wouldn't be worrying about 6th form provision at this stage as many things can change by then. However as many girls from ColCHS will be keen to switch to CRGS as those from Ipswich so its not really a reason to go for one school over another.

If you live close to a very good school that you can afford (state it fee paying) then in my book there has to be a very good reason to go elsewhere. If there isn't then the proximity will make life much easier and a child who is able to really feel part of a school and is happy and relaxed will do their best.
fausto

Post by fausto »

I have experience of both and have Pm'd you.
sleeplessinhalstead

Post by sleeplessinhalstead »

I have one daughter at Colchs and one at Ipswich High school (turned down a place at Ipswich School), I will send you a pm. For the record, I disagree with the comments above re Ipswich High School not stretching the more academic children.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now