CHG Pastoral care

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
wildwest

CHG Pastoral care

Post by wildwest »

Hi All
I am not sure if this is better put here on the Birmingham forum or in the pastoral section of the forum.
Does anyone have any info or experience of pastoral care in CHG?

I will ask questions if they give us an opportunity to go back after the NAD and prior to accepting places but wondered if any of you here had anything to say?
atmyage

Re: CHG Pastoral care

Post by atmyage »

Hi Wildwest,

I have taken a keen interest in your posts as I think we might be facing the same dilemma. I called CHG earlier this week - I don't think it is advertised anywhere yet but there will be two "open mornings" Friday 6th March & Monday 9th March for those who will get a place.

I called as I wanted to make an appointment with the Headmistress and I was made aware of this.
wildwest

Post by wildwest »

hi atmyage,

I suppose, there might be many sharing the same dilemma!
Pastoral care is high on our list and hence trying to find out from the horse's mouth on here.

thanks for that valuable info. I am on the phone straightaway.

Hope you resolve it smoothly :)
um

Post by um »

Before dd started I had the impression that pastoral care was quite poor. I don't know why I felt that, just a feeling from the open days perhaps. There was a lot more mention of pastoral support at KE Handsworth.
However it's fair to say that when she started I found that this was not true.
Firstly they did quite a lot to settle the girls down well and build relationships with staff and each other and they ran a residential trip quite early on in the term which I felt was very successful in settling the girls in.
DD has some medical needs and my experience with her is that all the senior staff were very dedicated to supporting her and although they have spent a lot of time working things out for her, they gave that effort freely and I never felt I was troubling them in any way.
HTH
wildwest

Post by wildwest »

very grateful um, for taking the time to post. You are right! I also kind of assumed that the pastoral in CHG may not be as strong as the indies, given the number of girls there. There is also a sense that, it is a glorified comprehensive, so you just get on with things! It might just be my 'unfound fear'. dd doesn't have any special needs but life is just so uncertain and we want to make sure, should she stumble upon anything nasty, she has the option of slowing down/seek support and find her feet before she gets back on.

Unfortunately, dd wasn't too well yesterday, and we couldn't take her to the welcome evening at KEHS. I had to go alone leaving her with dh. I don't know how other dps found it and if it helped anyone else in their decision making process??
atmyage

Post by atmyage »

Hi Wildwest,

We were rather excited about the Welcome evening and my DD, DH and I went. However, I was tad disappointed, I really didn't know what to expect but I felt we were just ushered around to see taster lessons. I wanted an opportunity to meet the staff and talk, and yes staff were around in the chemistry lab for example, but it I found it difficult to "chat" with all the girls/parents confined in these rooms.

I had been to two open days so to me it seemed a bit like short version of an open day. I did quiz sixth formers, though and by the end of the evening I was frustrated as I kept hearing "the opportunities" but when I pressed both students and staff to put value on these opps or expand in detail I didn't really get a satisfactory response.

I liked the way the HM started her speech - the fact that my DD had been "chosen" rather than passed an exam but other than that I still could not see much of a differentiator between the two schools we are considering. If anything, I went away thinking I really need to go back and see CHG and resolve issues such as nurturing/pastoral care. By the time we left it was about 9.15pm and I WAS impressed by the fact that there were hockey players on the pitch at the time of the night :!:
wildwest

Post by wildwest »

oh dear, sorry to hear that.
I must admit that my personal sense of the head teacher was not one of 'warm, approachable, accessible'
But this may be a biased view, she would have been on a lot of pressure knowing all eyes are on her. I am not sure what she is like in the day to day experience of girls and the parents. How accessible she is to parents if they want to discuss anything. I had heard a lotof positive things about the previous head, but not sure about the current one.

The sixth formers spoke quite well.

There were many who had accepted the place already. I didn't really speak to any other parents.

I too noticed the hockey ( a bit cynical..) but then the parent in me kicked in and I began thinking about the logistics of collecting dd from school after the match, at that time, should she join!!!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now