Waiting lists

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
muminbrum

Waiting lists

Post by muminbrum »

I'm back again and feeling pleased with myself for staying away until now :wink:

DS2 has a borderline score for KEA/BV and I think he will get HGS on offers day. I'm hoping (as he prefers them and they are easier commutes) that he gets a place at either KEA or BV off the waiting list.

DS1 got his KEFW place on offers day so I'm new to this process. Could someone please explain how the waiting lists work (is it the Foundation or BCC that manage them, for example?) or perhaps bump an old post that discusses this.

Thanks,

MiB
Smudger

Re: Waiting lists

Post by Smudger »

Children are automatically put on waiting lists and they are responsibility of the Foundation. They will call you if they want to offer your child a place.

As people have until 16th March to accept school offers it is suggested you wait until after then to call and check where your child ranks on the waiting list.

This info via my wife who called CHG and the the Foundation office today.
onebigdilemma

Post by onebigdilemma »

My son is borderline too. If he gets offered his second choice and goes on waiting list for grammar...if grammar place becomes available do you automatically lose the offer you have been given initially as they assume you would want your first choice or do you get to choose whether you accept?
mummycindy

Post by mummycindy »

Hi OBD
If on offer day your child gets offered for example their third choice you will automatically get put on the waiting list for their 1st and 2nd choice. When a place becomes available they will write to you and you will either accept or decline the place. You will do this by completing a form. If your original offer was part of the KEF and the new offer is part of the KEF they will remove your name from the original offer. If it is mainstream to grammar you may have to contact the original offer to remove your child's name. This may also be the case if the schools are with different local authorities.
My child was offered a mainstream school place on offer day but obtained a grammar place from the waiting list in the April and then in the autumn was offered yet another grammar school place which was higher on our list.
Children remain on the waiting list with the KEF until Christmas. The list is then passed on to the individual schools. If you want your child to remain on the list you need to contact the school direct.
If a place becomes available once the list is with the school they will contact those concerned to take a test. The child who scores the highest gets the place.
Hope this helps☺☺☺
Happy dad

Post by Happy dad »

For the avoidance of doubt I would phone the Foundation and Birmingham just to make sure. DS1 was offered by KEFW off the waiting list - we have never received a letter from our LEA that he was offered or even accepted KEFW. :roll:
mummycindy

Post by mummycindy »

Just to clarify 'KEF' meaning King Edward Foundation☺
um

Post by um »

onebigdilemma wrote:My son is borderline too. If he gets offered his second choice and goes on waiting list for grammar...if grammar place becomes available do you automatically lose the offer you have been given initially as they assume you would want your first choice or do you get to choose whether you accept?
You will normally be notified of the offer of the place in your higher choice school and can choose to accept or decline.
muminbrum

Post by muminbrum »

Thanks all.

So if after March 16th I want to see where he is on the lists to have a vague idea of his chances I should phone the Foundation office?? Have I understood correctly?

I sense a summer of waiting and last minute uniform buying coming up.

I'm waiting on DS3's primary place too as I stupidly had him a year too late to get into DS1 and DS2's very good primary through sibling preference. Think he might be a waiting list candidate too due to increase in birth rates :roll:
Smudger

Post by Smudger »

muminbrum wrote:after March 16th
You don't have to wait until March 16th. It's just Foundation office recommend that is when you will start to get a realistic idea of where you are on the waiting list. I imagine many will call every day!
muminbrum

Post by muminbrum »

I will try hard not to be one of 'those' parent :lol:
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now