WHSG funding issues

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
mum of boys

WHSG funding issues

Post by mum of boys »

A friend of mine is hoping her dd will be offered a place at WHSG - the school she has loved all along. However, she has become aware that the head has sent letters to parents explaining issues that the school is having with funding cuts, which will apparently lead to teacher redundancies. Also that the extra class they are admitting will generate more funding, but then needs more capital funding to build facilities to cope with the increased numbers. These issues are making her question whether WHSG is still the right choice or whether the quality of the education will be seriously affected. Does anyone with DDs at the school have any insight into whether they think there is really a problem that is going to affect the girls or will it not make much difference?
Any thoughts/ views would be really helpful.
moved

Re: WHSG funding issues

Post by moved »

Funding cuts affect everyone so I wouldn't worry too much. Sixth form funding is the issue and schools are adapting their provision with that in mind. Taking the extra class will mean funding for 30 more girls all the way through.
Ladymuck

Post by Ladymuck »

What school would she be looking at as an alternative? Has she sat for private schools?
mum of boys

Post by mum of boys »

Yes she has a back up option, but has always favoured WHSG. Looking for reassurance that it is still the right option I suppose.
pleased as punch

Post by pleased as punch »

Sir David Amess MP petitioning the House of Commons over funding for grammar schools in Southend. The petition is available to sign in SHSB at the moment (until Monday I think).

This has been brewing for some time but looks like it all came to a head when SHSB got outstanding in every field following their recent Ofsted inspection. As a reward their funding was cut! :?

It is obvious that all schools are having cutbacks but the grammar schools have historically had to accept a lower rate of funding than other secondary schools in the same area.

Quite frankly the schools are running out of ways to make cutbacks without impacting on the excellent education and opportunities they offer the pupils.
Billericay Mum

Post by Billericay Mum »

Hi

I received an email with this link in it to sign the petition. I thought I would post it on here if anyone wants to sign it (assuming it works, not something I have done before!!)

http://you.38degrees.org.uk/petitions/c ... n-southend" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If the link doesn't work you can search for the petition with google, just search 38degrees grammar petition.

Thank you to everyone that signs.
Blitz

Post by Blitz »

http://www.cchs.co.uk/ch/content/downlo ... -01-13.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This link, if it works, has the whole debate and focuses on the Southend Grammars towards the end.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now