Distraction topic: Herts best coffee shop

Eleven Plus (11+) in South West Hertfordshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Ess30

Distraction topic: Herts best coffee shop

Post by Ess30 »

OK - I'm bored of refreshing my email and pretending to work.

Let's make a Hertfordshires Top Ten coffee shops list.
Ess30

Re: Distraction topic: Herts best coffee shop

Post by Ess30 »

I'll pitch in with the following:

Oceans Bells on Watford High St
Great coffee and nice people - but really annoying having to go into the shopping centre to use the loo.

Harris and Hoole in Bushey Tesco Extra
Can't fault them - except for the embarrassment of recommending a place in a Tesco!

LP Cafe Watford High St
I want to love them - but they are out of the way - and half the time when I make the detour I find no free tables, so I keep on walking.
1Watford

Post by 1Watford »

Have been out for a walk without my phone to distract me. Back now and still no email!!

I like the Lily Lounge in Harpenden.

I'd like the LP cafe but they have a huge counter which leaves no room for tables! And there are so few tables there is rarely space to stop for a coffee.
decaff

Post by decaff »

Harris and Hoole no good if you want hot coffee.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

decaff wrote:Harris and Hoole no good if you want hot coffee.
If you want places not to go for coffee, I can recommend somewhere in Brentwood to avoid :lol:

(Also not in Hertfordshire, of course, so even more reason not to go there if you are looking for a decent cup of coffee in Herts).
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Peridot

Post by Peridot »

Agreed about Harris and Hoole. Horrible tasting coffee too.

We used to spend a fortune in coffee shops at the weekend (whole family coffee+hot chocs+Ohyesofcoursecaketoo=£££...) but finally bit the bullet and bought a cute little Magimix Nespresso machine with separate milk frother (in the sale!) and we haven't looked back. Yes the capsules are expensive compared to other ways of making coffee at home, but it's fun trying out all the different strengths and flavours in the taster pack that comes with the machine, and once you know what you are ordering the customer service is very good.

We used to have an old-fashioned espresso machine and it was so time-consuming cleaning it out after every coffee and the milk frother was always getting blocked - which was why we started going out instead... Now it's so quick and easy and you can just put the used capsules out with your other metal recycling.
Cutting42

Post by Cutting42 »

decaff wrote:Harris and Hoole no good if you want hot coffee.
Milk based coffee is not meant to be very hot but around 65 deg or you scald the milk. Also they have big signs up saying they will make it hot is you ask them.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now