The numbers of places offerred from waiting lists 2014/2015

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
brightspark72

The numbers of places offerred from waiting lists 2014/2015

Post by brightspark72 »

Hi there,

Does anyone have a definitive answer on how many places were offered from the kefw waiting list last year 2014. My DD is on the 2015 waiting list and I was wondering how likely she is to get in with 230. The foundation office said last year everyone who was within 2 marks of the original cut off mark obtained a place, but they didn't tell me how many places that was.

Thanks.

A concerned mum.
muminbrum

Re: The numbers of places offerred from waiting lists 2014/2

Post by muminbrum »

I don't have absolute numbers but the higher the score the fewer the number of children getting it in theory. So there should be fewer children scoring 230 and 231 this year than last year scoring 225 and 226. Hope that makes sense, I know what I mean!
Bob1892

Post by Bob1892 »

brightspark72 wrote:Hi there,

Does anyone have a definitive answer on how many places were offered from the kefw waiting list last year 2014. My DD is on the 2015 waiting list and I was wondering how likely she is to get in with 230. The foundation office said last year everyone who was within 2 marks of the original cut off mark obtained a place, but they didn't tell me how many places that was.

Thanks.

A concerned mum.
45 places were offered off the waiting list as of July last year.
KenR

Post by KenR »

brightspark72 wrote:Hi there,

Thanks.

A concerned mum.
You need to speak to the KE Foundation Office to find out how many offers over PAN KEFW made. The decision regarding how many offers over PAN to make lies totally with the individual KE Grammar Head - some heads tend to offer over well over PAN (an old KECHB head used to offer 30+ over PAN!) others don't. You need to talk to the KE Foundation Office - ask (a) how many offers over PAN were made this year, and (b) how many over PAN were made last year, (c) where he is on the waiting list. That will help you make a judgement. Don't forget that the place on the waiting list may initially go down due to late sitting children moving into the region.

I've explored this in the past and typically there are 12-14 on the waiting list for a particular KE school for each point and that sort of score, plus maybe say 5-6 that didn't get in 232 due to distance.

Don't want to be a pessimist but the danger is that because they took so many from the waiting list last year the KE Head may have increased the percentage of offers over PAN.

Hope this helps
pmc

Post by pmc »

A newbie question: what is meant by PAN?
KenR

Post by KenR »

pmc wrote:A newbie question: what is meant by PAN?
Published Admission Number (PAN)
This is the number of children to be admitted to a school in a given year. The number depends on the amount and type of accommodation available at the school and is worked out using instructions set out by the Department for Education and Skills. It is agreed before the admissions process begins and normally the school will not offer more places than this number.
From the glossary in the reference part of this site
(schools can and do gamble and often offer significantly more places than their published PAN allows because they know that many offers of a place will be refused - say because the child has a place at an independent school)
SGreene

Post by SGreene »

My son managed 236, my wife was told he is 49th on list for camp hill boys. Does he stand a chance?
KenR

Post by KenR »

SGreene wrote:My son managed 236, my wife was told he is 49th on list for camp hill boys. Does he stand a chance?
You need to contact the KE Foundation Office and ask the above questions - let us know the answers - we would like to know?
muminbrum

Post by muminbrum »

Just phoned BCC admissions.

Score of 215 is 43rd on BV waiting list. They said they don't know how many offers were made but the lady I spoke to seemed a bit confused by the whole concept of PAN!
rabbie burns

Post by rabbie burns »

Brightspark, Five Ways dropped 4 points to 220 last year so I would think, all things being even, 230 will get in this year. It is correct that the number of children on each point gets smaller the further you get away from the mean (200).